Theoretical Understanding of Gravitational Waves

In summary, gravitational waves are created when there is a large, sudden change in the position of a particle with a certain field, resulting in variations in the spacetime curvature at a particular point in space. These waves reflect the nature of the field and can be predicted by the Einstein field equations. They are generated by the regular changes in the location of large amounts of mass-energy, such as with orbiting stars or black holes. While understanding the mathematics behind gravitational waves may be difficult, their generation and effects can be understood without extensive mathematical knowledge.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Following the new discovery of gravitational waves by LIGO, I just want to make sure I understand the concept of these waves. I believe I currently have a novice understanding of gravitational waves: when a large, fairly sudden change happens to the position of a particle (acceleration or its derivatives) that has a certain field, waves are created in that field. The waves have properties that reflect on the nature of the field, and therefore according to GR, these waves would be disturbances in spacetime.
I understand that if anything it is an oversimplification, but do I roughly have the idea? Also, could you explain some of the more advanced parts? I know that the Einstein field equations predict gravitational waves, is this just because it shows that gravity causes spacetime curvature? Is there more to it? If yes, could you explain how the EFE predicts them? Thanks guys!

--EDIT--
I apologize for my bad terminology.

Physics news on Phys.org
None of the others, who understand this much better than me, have answered yet, so I'll give it a go.

Broadly your description is correct. I'd just suggest being a bit careful with the phrase 'disturbance in spacetime' because - to me at least - it conjures up an image of spacetime wobbling. But for that to mean anything, we'd need another time dimension in which those wobbles occur, because spacetime already is four-dimensional including a time dimension. A more cautious description would be 'variations over time in the spacetime curvature at a particular point in space'. That description presupposes a coordinate system, in order to make the references to 'time' and a 'point in space' meaningful. But there are standard coordinate systems that can be used to tie that down, such as the 'Swarzschild coordinates'. Another way to think of it is that, if you were a 6-dimensional being standing back and looking at our 4D spacetime embedded in your world, you would see frozen ripple contours in the spacetime, emanating from the wordline of the massive bodies that were generating the grav waves.

As to the more advanced parts, try this link. It explains the generation of gravitational waves. The link is from Schutz's 'A first course in general relativity' - chapter 9 on Gravitational Radiation.

You don't need to fully understand the maths in order to get the general idea. The maths is tensor calculus and differential geometry, which I'm guessing you haven't studied yet. Equation 9.64 is a wave equation derived from the EFE, in a 'linearised form' that uses a pseudotensor ##\bar h_{\mu\nu}## to approximate the Ricci tensor that denotes spacetime curvature in Einstein's equation.

In the region where the wave is being generated there will be big, regular changes in the location of large amounts of mass-energy, such as happens with two large stars or black holes that are orbiting each other in a pair. So at any point within that orbital region, the term on the right of 9.64 ##T_{\mu\nu}##, which is the stress-energy tensor and represents the amount of mass-energy at that point, is undergoing regular changes of very large amplitude.

A full solution of the equation gives a formula not only for changes in spacetime curvature within the orbital region, but also arbitrarily far away in space, where - because it is away from the co-orbiting pair of stars - there will be negligible mass-energy so that ##T_{\mu\nu}=0##. That solution will involve a sinusoidal variation over time in the spacetime curvature at a spatial point a long way away.

Sorry I can't explain it any better than that right now. I have to brush up on this stuff myself now this discovery has been announced, and working through the maths carefully is quite a slog!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Isaac0427
andrewkirk said:
None of the others, who understand this much better than me, have answered yet, so I'll give it a go.

Broadly your description is correct. I'd just suggest being a bit careful with the phrase 'disturbance in spacetime' because - to me at least - it conjures up an image of spacetime wobbling. But for that to mean anything, we'd need another time dimension in which those wobbles occur, because spacetime already is four-dimensional including a time dimension. A more cautious description would be 'variations over time in the spacetime curvature at a particular point in space'. That description presupposes a coordinate system, in order to make the references to 'time' and a 'point in space' meaningful. But there are standard coordinate systems that can be used to tie that down, such as the 'Swarzschild coordinates'. Another way to think of it is that, if you were a 6-dimensional being standing back and looking at our 4D spacetime embedded in your world, you would see frozen ripple contours in the spacetime, emanating from the wordline of the massive bodies that were generating the grav waves.

As to the more advanced parts, try this link. It explains the generation of gravitational waves. The link is from Schutz's 'A first course in general relativity' - chapter 9 on Gravitational Radiation.

You don't need to fully understand the maths in order to get the general idea. The maths is tensor calculus and differential geometry, which I'm guessing you haven't studied yet. Equation 9.64 is a wave equation derived from the EFE, in a 'linearised form' that uses a pseudotensor ##\bar h_{\mu\nu}## to approximate the Ricci tensor that denotes spacetime curvature in Einstein's equation.

In the region where the wave is being generated there will be big, regular changes in the location of large amounts of mass-energy, such as happens with two large stars or black holes that are orbiting each other in a pair. So at any point within that orbital region, the term on the right of 9.64 ##T_{\mu\nu}##, which is the stress-energy tensor and represents the amount of mass-energy at that point, is undergoing regular changes of very large amplitude.

A full solution of the equation gives a formula not only for changes in spacetime curvature within the orbital region, but also arbitrarily far away in space, where - because it is away from the co-orbiting pair of stars - there will be negligible mass-energy so that ##T_{\mu\nu}=0##. That solution will involve a sinusoidal variation over time in the spacetime curvature at a spatial point a long way away.

Sorry I can't explain it any better than that right now. I have to brush up on this stuff myself now this discovery has been announced, and working through the maths carefully is quite a slog!
Thank you very much! I'm working hard on the math, however I will not deny that much of it goes over my head, considering I'm in algebra 2, and all my knowledge of calculus is self-taught.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time that are created when massive objects accelerate or collide with each other. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using specialized instruments called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in distance between two points caused by the passing gravitational wave.

3. What is the significance of detecting gravitational waves?

Detecting gravitational waves provides strong evidence for the existence of black holes and other massive objects in our universe. It also allows us to study the properties of these objects and test the predictions of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. How do gravitational waves differ from electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves are fundamentally different. Electromagnetic waves are caused by the oscillations of electric and magnetic fields, while gravitational waves are caused by the curvature of space-time. Additionally, gravitational waves can pass through any material, while electromagnetic waves can be blocked by certain materials.

5. Can gravitational waves be used for practical applications?

Gravitational waves have not yet been harnessed for practical applications, but they have the potential to revolutionize fields such as astronomy and physics. They could also be used for precision measurements and to detect phenomena that are invisible to traditional telescopes, such as black holes and dark matter.