Calc: Comparing Partitions for Integrability

In summary: Q) is everything right here? i have some doubts to how simple this answer looks as my professor tend to make really difficult questions...Thanks!
chrischoi614

Homework Statement

comparing two partitions: Let f be defined on the interval [0,2] by f(x)=0, if 0≤x≤1
and f(x)=1 otherwise. Consider two partitions P={0,1,2} and
Q={0,1-[itex]\epsilon[/itex], 1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex],2}, and calculate the difference of the upper and the lower sum with respect to each partition. By using partitions like Q prove directly from the definition of integrability that the function f is integrable and calculate the integral.

Homework Equations

spf=ƩJ1mj(xj-xj-1)
and replace m with M for Spf

the definition of integrability I use in my textbook is:
If f is a bounded function on [a,b], the following conditions are equivalent:
a. f is integrable on [a,b]
b. For every ε>0 there is a partition P of [a,b] such that SPf-sPf<ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made an attempt on solving for the upper and lower sum of P and I got 1+1+0 since the points {1,2} in P is 1 and {0} is 0. For Q I got the upper and lower sum as 2 as well as {0,1-ε} is in 0 and {1+ε,2} is in 1. However I don't know if I'm right or not. Neither do I know how to proceed with this question. Thank you very much in advance for anyone that's going to help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
chrischoi614 said:

Homework Statement

comparing two partitions: Let f be defined on the interval [0,2] by f(x)=0, if 0≤x≤1
and f(x)=1 otherwise. Consider two partitions P={0,1,2} and
Q={0,1-[itex]\epsilon[/itex], 1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex],2}, and calculate the difference of the upper and the lower sum with respect to each partition. By using partitions like Q prove directly from the definition of integrability that the function f is integrable and calculate the integral.

Homework Equations

spf=ƩJ1mj(xj-xj-1)
and replace m with M for Spf

the definition of integrability I use in my textbook is:
If f is a bounded function on [a,b], the following conditions are equivalent:
a. f is integrable on [a,b]
b. For every ε>0 there is a partition P of [a,b] such that SPf-sPf<ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made an attempt on solving for the upper and lower sum of P and I got 1+1+0 since the points {1,2} in P is 1 and {0} is 0. For Q I got the upper and lower sum as 2 as well as {0,1-ε} is in 0 and {1+ε,2} is in 1. However I don't know if I'm right or not. Neither do I know how to proceed with this question. Thank you very much in advance for anyone that's going to help me!

This is confusingly written, not to mention incorrect. What does "{0,1-ε} is in 0" mean??

First, the sum I have highlighted in red is incorrectly copied. You wouldn't have the index of summation j also in the limits of the summation. The j at the top of the sum would probably be n, which is the number of intervals in the partition.

Let's start with P. There are two intervals in P so you won't get three terms in either the upper or lower sum. The partition P is ##x_0=0,\, x_1 = 1,\, x_2=2##. Start by literally writing the sum (after you correct it) for this problem. By this, I mean figure out ##n## and ##m_j## and write out the terms for this problem. Once you do that correctly we can look at Q.

Oh so i found out that the upper sum of P is 2 and the lower sum of P is 1, so the difference of upper sum and lower sum for P is 1.
Upper sum of P: Lower sum of P:
1(1-0)+1(2-1) = 2 0(1-0)+1(2-1) = 1
Difference:
2-1=1

For upper sum of Q: Lower sum of Q:
0+ε+1-ε=1 0+0+1-ε=1-ε
Difference:
1-(1-ε)=ε

Then Since the definition of integrability says that if it is bounded ( which it is)
and that upper sum - lower sum < ε, then its integrable (for Q)

is everything right here? i have some doubts to how simple this answer looks as my professor tend to make really difficult questions...

Thanks!

chrischoi614 said:
Oh so i found out that the upper sum of P is 2 and the lower sum of P is 1, so the difference of upper sum and lower sum for P is 1.
Upper sum of P: Lower sum of P:
1(1-0)+1(2-1) = 2 0(1-0)+1(2-1) = 1
Difference:
2-1=1

For upper sum of Q: Lower sum of Q:
0+ε+1-ε=1 0+0+1-ε=1-ε
Difference:
1-(1-ε)=ε

Then Since the definition of integrability says that if it is bounded ( which it is)
and that upper sum - lower sum < ε, then its integrable (for Q)

is everything right here? i have some doubts to how simple this answer looks as my professor tend to make really difficult questions...

Thanks!

No, they aren't correct and the way you have combined things, it is very hard to follow what you have done. You aren't going to get them correct until you go step by step. I suggested before that you begin by writing out the sums for P. Start like this:##x_0=0,\, x_1=1,\, x_2=2##. Then$$

L_p = \sum_{j=1}^2 m_j(x_j-x_{j-1}) =m_1(x_1-x_0)+m_2(x_2-x_1)=...$$
Now put the numbers in unsimplified and then simplify what you get. That way it will be possible to follow your work and you have some chance of getting it correct. Then do the same thing for ##U_p##:$$
U_p = ...$$ Continue with the same steps for Q, beginning with listing the ##x_j##.

I have actually done them in the way you described it.
for lower sum of P,
Lp=∑mj(xj−xj−1)=m1(x1−x0)+m2(x2−x1)=...
m1 = 0 , m2 = 1, then subsequently i got
0(1-0)+1(2-1) = 1

As for higher sum of P,
M1=1 and M2=1
so
1(1-0)+1(2-1) = 2

is it correct?

chrischoi614 said:
I have actually done them in the way you described it.
for lower sum of P,
Lp=∑mj(xj−xj−1)=m1(x1−x0)+m2(x2−x1)=...
m1 = 0 , m2 = 1, then subsequently i got
0(1-0)+1(2-1) = 1

As for higher sum of P,
M1=1 and M2=1
so
1(1-0)+1(2-1) = 2

is it correct?

Not quite. How do you get and m2 = 1 and M1=1? Look carefully at your definition of f(x). Fix that then let's see the steps for partition Q.

OH I am so sorry, my question is actually wrong with the definition of f(x), its supposed to be
0≤x<1 not less than or equal to 1...
then will my answers be correct?

chrischoi614 said:
OH I am so sorry, my question is actually wrong with the definition of f(x), its supposed to be
0≤x<1 not less than or equal to 1...
then will my answers be correct?

So ##f(x) = 0## on ##0\le x < 1## and ##f(x) = 1## on ##1\le x \le 2##. Then your calculations for P are correct. Now let's see the full details for Q.

What is integrability and why is it important in calculus?

Integrability is the property of a function that allows it to be integrated or have a definite integral. In calculus, integration is used to find the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, and other important mathematical calculations. Without integrability, these calculations would not be possible.

What is the difference between a Riemann sum and a partition in calculus?

A Riemann sum is a method of approximating the area under a curve by dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and finding the sum of the areas of the rectangles formed. A partition, on the other hand, is a specific set of intervals that divide the interval into smaller subintervals. Partitions are used to define the limits of integration in the Riemann sum formula.

How do you compare different partitions for integrability?

To compare partitions, you can look at the widths of the subintervals, the values of the function at each subinterval, and the overall accuracy of the Riemann sum approximation. Generally, a partition with smaller subintervals and a larger number of subintervals will result in a more accurate approximation.

What is the difference between a left Riemann sum and a right Riemann sum?

In a left Riemann sum, the height of each rectangle is determined by the left endpoint of the subinterval. In a right Riemann sum, the height of each rectangle is determined by the right endpoint of the subinterval. The main difference is the placement of the rectangles, which can result in slightly different approximations for the same function and partition.

How does the concept of integrability relate to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the integral of a function can be found by evaluating the antiderivative of the function at the endpoints of the interval. Integrability is necessary for the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to hold, as it ensures that the function has a definite integral and can be evaluated at these endpoints.