How Can Integration by Parts Help with Explaining Theoretical Integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use integration by parts to show that the integral of cos^n x is equal to cos^(n-1) x sin x + (n-1) times the integral of sin^2 x cos^(n-2) x. The conversation also explores how to use this result to derive the reduction formula for n times the integral of cos^n x.
jamesbob
I'm stuck on explaining this. Does anybody know how to help?

(a) By writing [tex]\cos^nx = cos^{n-1}xcosx [/tex] use integration by parts to show that

[tex] \int \cos^nxdx = \cos^{n-1}xsinx + (n-1) \int \sin^2xcos^{n-2}xdx. [/tex]

(b) Using the result of part (a) derive the reduction formula

[tex] n\int \cos^nxdx = \cos^{n-1}x\sinx + (n-1) \int \cos^{n-2}xdx. [/tex]​
My Working:

(a) All i got so far is

u = cosx dv/dx =cos^{n-1}x

du/dx = -\sinx v = \int \cos^{n-1}x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You usually don't want to pick a function you can't immediately integrate as dv/dx, because then you have a nested integral, which is no fun. Try switching your choices of u and dv/dx.

StatusX said:
You usually don't want to pick a function you can't immediately integrate as dv/dx, because then you have a nested integral, which is no fun. Try switching your choices of u and dv/dx.

ok i swithced u and v and got:

[tex] u = \cos^{n-1} \mbox{ and so } \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{-sin(n-1)x}{(n-1)^2} [/tex]

is this right so far?

I don't think so, although I don't really understand what you've written for du/dx. Just use the chain rule to differentiate (cos(x))^(n-1).

ok i got the first bit. using the chain rule works, thanks. but how do you do (b)? how can multiplying by n cancel out the sin^2x in the integration?

Use sin2(x)=1-cos2(x). Also, I think there's a mistake in the formula you posted. There should be a sin(x) in the first term on the right side.

Last edited:
hmm, i can't see why using sin^2x = cos^2x - 1 helps, sorry. Could you explain it further please?

What is theoretical integration?

Theoretical integration is the process of combining different theories or perspectives from various fields in order to gain a deeper understanding of a particular phenomenon or problem.

Why is theoretical integration important?

Theoretical integration allows scientists to approach complex problems with a more comprehensive and holistic perspective, taking into account multiple factors and variables. It also promotes collaboration and cross-disciplinary research.

What are the challenges of theoretical integration?

One of the main challenges of theoretical integration is the potential clash of different theories and frameworks, which may have conflicting or incompatible assumptions and concepts. It also requires a high level of expertise and knowledge in different fields.

How is theoretical integration different from theoretical synthesis?

Theoretical integration involves the combination and integration of different theories, while theoretical synthesis refers to the creation of a new theory by combining elements or concepts from existing theories.

What are some examples of theoretical integration in practice?

Examples of theoretical integration in practice include the integration of biological and psychological theories in the field of neuropsychology, and the integration of economic and sociological theories in the study of social inequalities.