1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical Integration

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    I'm stuck on explaining this. Does anybody know how to help?

(a) By writing [tex]\cos^nx = cos^{n-1}xcosx [/tex] use integration by parts to show that

[tex] \int \cos^nxdx = \cos^{n-1}xsinx + (n-1) \int \sin^2xcos^{n-2}xdx. [/tex]

(b) Using the result of part (a) derive the reduction formula

[tex] n\int \cos^nxdx = \cos^{n-1}x\sinx + (n-1) \int \cos^{n-2}xdx. [/tex]​

My Working:

(a) All i got so far is

u = cosx dv/dx =cos^{n-1}x

du/dx = -\sinx v = \int \cos^{n-1}x
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

You usually don't want to pick a function you can't immediately integrate as dv/dx, because then you have a nested integral, which is no fun. Try switching your choices of u and dv/dx.
  4. Feb 7, 2006 #3
    ok i swithced u and v and got:

[tex] u = \cos^{n-1} \mbox{ and so } \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{-sin(n-1)x}{(n-1)^2} [/tex]

is this right so far?
  5. Feb 7, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

I don't think so, although I don't really understand what you've written for du/dx. Just use the chain rule to differentiate (cos(x))^(n-1).
  6. Feb 7, 2006 #5
    ok i got the first bit. using the chain rule works, thanks. but how do you do (b)? how can multiplying by n cancel out the sin^2x in the integration?
  7. Feb 7, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

Use sin2(x)=1-cos2(x). Also, I think there's a mistake in the formula you posted. There should be a sin(x) in the first term on the right side.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  8. Feb 7, 2006 #7
    hmm, i can't see why using sin^2x = cos^2x - 1 helps, sorry. Could you explain it further please?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?