1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical Line

1. Sep 28, 2006 #1
    I have a lab question that states "does your experimental value agree with the theoretical line for projectile motion?" What is a theoretical line and how do I compare these value.

I thought a theoretical line is x=V(sq.root(2h/g)), but im not sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

What value did you measure?

4. Sep 28, 2006 #3
    i measured the horizontal distance and and horizontal velocity.

5. Sep 28, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

So, which is the equation of the displacement in the x-direction? Which is the equation of the horizontal component of velocity? Use these equations to compare your test results with the 'theoretical' values.

6. Sep 28, 2006 #5
    The problem is that the theoretical values are not given. All I have is the equation and a plot of my experimental values. How do I determine the theoretical line that I need to compare my values?

7. Sep 28, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Well, I guess you have a plot of your experimental values dependent on time, right? So, just plug the 'times' into the 'theoretical' equations and compare the results. I hope I'm not missing something big here.

8. Sep 28, 2006 #7
    It is not a plot dependent on time. The plot is x (distance) vs. horizontal velocity. I plugged the values into the equation above and compared the values. But, is there a way I can draw or determine the theoretical line?

9. Sep 28, 2006 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Horizontal velocity is constant and equals vx = v0*cosA, where v0 is the initial velocity and A is its angle. Since it is constant during time, it is represented as a horizontal line in a t-vx coordinate system. Maybe this is what you mean by 'theoretical' line.

10. Sep 28, 2006 #9
    how is it represented in a X vs Vx coordinate system?

11. Sep 28, 2006 #10

radou

Homework Helper

The same. vx is constant for every point x.

12. Sep 28, 2006 #11
    hmm.. i think i got it thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?