Projectile Motion: Understanding Theoretical vs. Experimental Values

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to compare experimental values with theoretical values in projectile motion. The speaker is unsure of what the theoretical line is and how to determine it. They mention an equation for displacement in the x-direction and the equation for horizontal velocity. The other speaker suggests plugging the times into the equations to compare the results. The concept of a constant horizontal velocity is also mentioned and how it is represented in a coordinate system. Ultimately, the speaker comes to understand how to determine the theoretical line.
Touchme
I have a lab question that states "does your experimental value agree with the theoretical line for projectile motion?" What is a theoretical line and how do I compare these value.

I thought a theoretical line is x=V(sq.root(2h/g)), but I am not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
What value did you measure?

i measured the horizontal distance and and horizontal velocity.

Touchme said:
i measured the horizontal distance and and horizontal velocity.

So, which is the equation of the displacement in the x-direction? Which is the equation of the horizontal component of velocity? Use these equations to compare your test results with the 'theoretical' values.

The problem is that the theoretical values are not given. All I have is the equation and a plot of my experimental values. How do I determine the theoretical line that I need to compare my values?

Well, I guess you have a plot of your experimental values dependent on time, right? So, just plug the 'times' into the 'theoretical' equations and compare the results. I hope I'm not missing something big here.

It is not a plot dependent on time. The plot is x (distance) vs. horizontal velocity. I plugged the values into the equation above and compared the values. But, is there a way I can draw or determine the theoretical line?

Touchme said:
It is not a plot dependent on time. The plot is x (distance) vs. horizontal velocity. I plugged the values into the equation above and compared the values. But, is there a way I can draw or determine the theoretical line?

Horizontal velocity is constant and equals vx = v0*cosA, where v0 is the initial velocity and A is its angle. Since it is constant during time, it is represented as a horizontal line in a t-vx coordinate system. Maybe this is what you mean by 'theoretical' line.

how is it represented in a X vs Vx coordinate system?

Touchme said:
how is it represented in a X vs Vx coordinate system?

The same. vx is constant for every point x.

hmm.. i think i got it thanks

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a parabolic path due to the combination of its initial horizontal velocity and the downward force of gravity.

2. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental values in projectile motion?

Theoretical values are calculated using mathematical equations and do not take into account external factors such as air resistance. On the other hand, experimental values are obtained through actual measurements and may be affected by external factors.

3. Why do theoretical and experimental values differ in projectile motion?

Theoretical values do not account for external factors such as air resistance and friction, which can affect the motion of the object. Additionally, experimental values may be affected by human error or limitations in the measuring instruments.

4. How can we improve the accuracy of experimental values in projectile motion?

To improve the accuracy of experimental values, we can use more precise measuring instruments, reduce human error, and conduct multiple trials to obtain an average value. We can also minimize external factors by performing the experiment in a controlled environment.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion is used in various real-life applications, such as sports (e.g. basketball, football), launching rockets and missiles, and calculating the trajectory of objects in space. It is also used in engineering and physics to understand the motion of objects in free fall.