How Do You Solve Particle Motion Equations in an Electromagnetic Field?

In summary: You can also do the same thing by differentiating the second equation and replacing dvx/dt from the first. You will get the same second order differential equation for vy/dt. You can then solve these two coupled second order equations for vx(t) and vy(t). Then you can integrate those to get x(t) and y(t). After that, you can integrate the equation for vz(t) to get z(t). In summary, the motion of a particle of charge q in an electromagnetic field with constant B and E can be described by the equations z(t)=z(sub-o)+v(sub-zo)t+qE(sub-z)t^2/2m, vx(t)=Asin(
akinoshigure
So I'm stuck on the second part of this problem and really don't know hwere to go from here... let me type it up and show where I got stuck at.

3. The motion of particle of chage q in an electromagnetic field is governed by the Lorentz force (for low velocities v<<c): F=qE + qvxB.
With both constant B=B k and E=Ey j + Ez K show that:
z(t)=z(sub-o)+v(sub-zo)t+qE(sub-z)t^2/2m
vx(t)=Asin(omega-t)+E(sub-y)/B
vx(t)=+Acos(omega-t)

I did F=qE+qVxB=m (dv/dt)

dvx/dt= q/m(vyBz)
dvy/dt= q/m(Ey-vxBo)
dvz/dt= q/m (Ez)

I think I'm suppose to now take a second derivative and find the second order differential equation but I'm not too sure how to approach that.

Physics news on Phys.org
akinoshigure said:
So I'm stuck on the second part of this problem and really don't know hwere to go from here... let me type it up and show where I got stuck at.

3. The motion of particle of chage q in an electromagnetic field is governed by the Lorentz force (for low velocities v<<c): F=qE + qvxB.
With both constant B=B k and E=Ey j + Ez K show that:
z(t)=z(sub-o)+v(sub-zo)t+qE(sub-z)t^2/2m
vx(t)=Asin(omega-t)+E(sub-y)/B
vx(t)=+Acos(omega-t)

I did F=qE+qVxB=m (dv/dt)

dvx/dt= q/m(vyBz)
dvy/dt= q/m(Ey-vxBo)
dvz/dt= q/m (Ez)
One slight error here: the strength of the magnetic field is just "B", not
"Bz" or "Bo".

I think I'm suppose to now take a second derivative and find the second order differential equation but I'm not too sure how to approach that.
What you are "supposed" to do is solve those equations. Since the last one (for dvz/dt) does not involve the other two components, you can solve it directly. The other two are "entwined". One method of solving a pair of equations is to differentiate the first (so that you have dvy/dt on the right side) and then replace dvy/dt from the second equation. That will give you one second order differential equation for vx/

As a theoretical mechanic, I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. It looks like you have correctly identified the equations of motion for the particle in an electromagnetic field. To solve for the position and velocity of the particle, we need to integrate these equations.

First, let's focus on the z-direction. We can integrate the equation dvz/dt = q/m(Ez) to get vz(t) = vz0 + qEz(t)/m, where vz0 is the initial velocity in the z-direction. Then, we can integrate again to get z(t) = z0 + vz0t + qEz(t)^2/2m, where z0 is the initial position in the z-direction.

Next, let's look at the x-direction. We can integrate the equation dvx/dt = q/m(vyBz) to get vx(t) = vx0 + qBz(t)/m, where vx0 is the initial velocity in the x-direction. Then, we can use the trigonometric identity sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1 to write Bz(t) as Bsin(ωt), where ω is the frequency of the oscillation. Substituting this into the equation for vx(t), we get vx(t) = vx0 + qBsin(ωt)/m. Finally, we can use the initial condition vx(0) = vxo + qEy/m to solve for vx0, giving us vx(t) = (vxo + qEy/m) + qBsin(ωt)/m.

Similarly, we can integrate the equation dvy/dt = q/m(Ey - vx0B) to get vy(t) = vy0 + qEy(t)/m - qvx0Bt/m. We can then use the initial condition vy(0) = vyo to solve for vy0, giving us vy(t) = vyo + qEy(t)/m - qvx0Bt/m.

In summary, the equations of motion for the particle in the electromagnetic field are:

z(t) = z0 + vz0t + qEz(t)^2/2m

vx(t) = (vxo + qEy/m) + qBsin(ωt)/m

vy(t) = vyo + qEy(t)/m - qvx0Bt/m

These equations can

1. What is Theoretical Mechanics?

Theoretical Mechanics is a branch of physics that involves the study of motion and forces in a wide range of physical systems, using mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of these systems.

2. What are the main subfields of Theoretical Mechanics?

The main subfields of Theoretical Mechanics are classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. These areas focus on different types of physical systems and use different mathematical frameworks to describe their behavior.

3. How is Theoretical Mechanics different from Experimental Mechanics?

Theoretical Mechanics involves the use of mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems, while Experimental Mechanics involves conducting experiments and collecting data to study the behavior of these systems in real-world settings. Theoretical Mechanics and Experimental Mechanics are complementary approaches that work together to advance our understanding of the physical world.

4. What are some real-world applications of Theoretical Mechanics?

Theoretical Mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including predicting the motion of celestial bodies and spacecraft, understanding the behavior of materials and structures in engineering applications, and developing new technologies such as quantum computers and nanotechnology.

5. What skills are needed to study Theoretical Mechanics?

To study Theoretical Mechanics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are essential for understanding and applying the complex mathematical models and principles used in this field.