Is It Necessary to Master Advanced Math Before Studying Theoretical Physics?

In summary: However, it is also possible to learn the math while studying physics, as long as you are willing to put in the extra effort. It may also be helpful to compare the programs of different universities in order to find the best approach for your education. Additionally, in some countries, the university system may divide degrees into two periods, with the first being more general and the second focusing on a specific field like theoretical physics. However, it seems that in most cases, math is studied alongside physics in the first two years of undergraduate studies.
octol
For all you theoretical physicists out there.

I have got all the undergraduate math stuff down (group theory, point set topology, PDEs, introduction to mathematical analysis, linear algebra, classical differential geometry etc.), but now going further in my physics education I am approaching QFT and other highly mathematical fields, and it feels just so overwhelming having to learn all that manifold theory, diff. forms, algebraic topology, Lie theory, functionalanalysis. I really like math and all but the subjects seems so huge and abstract. It feels like I am never getting to the physics.

So I was wondering, do I really have to plough through all those huge graduate level books before I go into the (theoretical) physics? Or is it possible to pick up math while studying the physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or is it possible to pick up math while studying the physics?
I'm not a physicist, so I don't whether my experience will benifit you, but I learned the mathematical apparatus parallel with physics. That is, when some mathematics which I didn't know appeared in a physics text that I was reading, I would pause in order to learn the mathematics.

It would be interesting to compare the programs of different european and extracomunitarian universities to solve the puzzle you are submitting (And there's already a thread somewhere about it).

For example, in Italy, you finally emerge from the "mare magnum" of pure and abstract Maths more or less in the second year, when you are at least 20-21 years old (btw, we attend school in Winter, isn't Summer the school period for northern countries?).

Moreover, an act has (I'm afraid) lately been passed, which divides university careers into two periods: "three-year degree" and "specialized degree" (3+2). And the courses last a semester.
For the first, the program is common (of course, with some personal choices and changes).
For the second, there is a lot of possibility, among which you can choose "Theoretical Physics".

What about you?

P.S. Anyway, in the first two years you study Maths along with Pysics, is this different for you?

(btw, we attend school in Winter, isn't Summer the school period for northern countries?).

What? Unless your definitions of "winter" and "summer" are significantly different than mine, this would mean that your entire school "year" would be 3 to 4 months at most. (And this is being very liberal in what counts as "summer" ;) ).

The fall term in Sweden lasts from the end of August/beginning of September to early January, and the spring term from early January to sometime in May/June. (Usually. Local deviations may occur).

Last edited:
marlon said:
Here is everything you need to know if you want to become a theoretical physicist :
The author is Nobel laureate Gerardus t'Hooft

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

marlon

ah, cool link, marlon. thanks.

Ok my definitions are a little conventional, I meant "Winter"=Autumn+Winter+Spring and thus "Summer" logically follows.

Anyway that is my situation: Oct-Jan: lectures, Feb: exams, Mar-Jun: lectures, Jun-Jul: exams, Sept: exams.

"So I was wondering, do I really have to plough through all those huge graduate level books before I go into the (theoretical) physics? Or is it possible to pick up math while studying the physics?"

I recommend you learn the rest of your math in good physics graduate courses and seminars.

A very good friend of mine who is, coincidentally, one of the best undergraduate physics theorists I have ever seen or heard of commented quite simply

"If you already know all the math, the rest is just physics."

I think it would be in your benefit to know most of the math before you take a class on physics, so you can focus on the physics and not get hung up on the mathematical details.

What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that seeks to understand and explain the fundamental laws of nature through mathematical models and theories, rather than through experimentation or observation.

What is the role of math in theoretical physics?

Math plays a crucial role in theoretical physics as it provides the language and tools to describe and quantify physical phenomena. Theories and models in theoretical physics are often expressed in the form of mathematical equations, allowing for precise predictions and further exploration.

What are some examples of topics studied in theoretical physics?

Theoretical physicists study a wide range of topics, including quantum mechanics, relativity, cosmology, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. They also work on developing new theories and models to better understand these areas and potentially uncover new phenomena.

What is the difference between theoretical physics and experimental physics?

The main difference between theoretical and experimental physics is the approach used to study physical phenomena. While theoretical physicists use mathematical models and theories to explain and predict observations, experimental physicists conduct experiments and collect data to understand and test these theories.

What are some career options for theoretical physicists and mathematicians?

Career options for theoretical physicists and mathematicians include research positions in academia, government agencies, and private companies. They can also work in fields such as finance, data science, and engineering, where their skills in problem-solving and mathematical analysis are highly valued.