Theoretical Physicist PhD: Can I Apply?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of applying for a job at CERN as an Experimental Physicist, despite having a PhD in Theoretical Particle Physics. The individual has the required experience in data analysis, but it is unclear if they also have the necessary experience in designing and operating detectors and handling detector hardware. The job posting explicitly states the need for experience in these areas, along with a post-doctoral experience in particle physics. The individual is encouraged to apply and must convince the hiring committee of their qualifications. It is also mentioned that the job posting may be a formality and a hiring decision may have already been made.
TJRichards160
If I did a PhD in Theoretical Particle Physics, would I be able to apply to this job?

https://ert.cern.ch/browse_www/wd_pds?p_web_site_id=1&p_web_page_id=9147&p_no_apply=&p_show=N [Broken]

It is looking for an Experimental Physicist but I would be theoretical but I would have the required degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would you also have the required experience? I think this matters more than the actual degree.

eXorikos said:
Would you also have the required experience? I think this matters more than the actual degree.

Yes, I have the experience but it is in a theoretical research role.

The only way to find out is to apply. What do you have to lose by applying?

TJRichards160 said:
Yes, I have the experience but it is in a theoretical research role.

"THE" experience that the position is seeking for was stated explicitly:

To play an important role in all aspects of particle physics experiments, involving the conception and design of experiments, the development and operation of detectors and the analysis of data.
Experience in data analysis, in the use of on-line or off-line software and competence in detector hardware.

I can see how you would have experience in data analysis, but are you sure you are competent in design and OPERATION of detectors, and handling of detector hardware? It appears that from the entire description of this job, this is a hands-on position where you are expected to be able to design hardware and also be able to know about the physics of these detectors. From what I have seen others in such a position, it involves a lot of physics labor, including hardware assembling and testing.

Do you think you are capable of that work?

Zz.

Up to five years' post-doctoral experience in the field of particle physics.

From that statement you need more than just your PhD, you also need experience as a post-doc in the particle-physics field.

Yes, you can apply.

Other people who will be applying will have years of experimental experience, and will have written papers on experimental topics. You will have to convince the committee to hire you over all of them.

Vanadium 50 said:
Other people who will be applying will have years of experimental experience, and will have written papers on experimental topics. You will have to convince the committee to hire you over all of them.

That's assuming that they haven't already decided who to hire, and the job ad is just a pro-forma post to get around a bureaucratic posting requirement. It's very common in these sorts of things to post the job after the committee has made a decision as to who to hire.

Not at CERN.

1. Can I apply for a Theoretical Physicist PhD program without a background in physics?

No, a strong foundation in physics is essential for pursuing a PhD in theoretical physics. It is important to have a thorough understanding of core concepts such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics before delving into more advanced theoretical topics.

2. What are the minimum academic requirements for applying to a Theoretical Physicist PhD program?

The specific requirements may vary between universities, but most programs will require a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Additionally, a strong background in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, is usually expected.

3. Is it necessary to have research experience before applying to a Theoretical Physicist PhD program?

While research experience is not always a requirement, it is highly recommended. This shows that you have practical skills in applying theoretical concepts and are able to work independently. It also gives you an opportunity to build relationships with potential advisors and get a taste of what graduate-level research entails.

4. Can I apply for a Theoretical Physicist PhD program without a master's degree?

Yes, many universities offer combined master's and PhD programs, allowing students to earn a master's degree along the way to a PhD. However, some programs may require a master's degree for admission, so it is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

5. What qualities are admissions committees looking for in applicants to Theoretical Physicist PhD programs?

In addition to strong academic credentials, admissions committees also look for qualities such as critical thinking skills, creativity, and a strong passion for physics. They will also consider your research experience, letters of recommendation, and any relevant extracurricular activities.