1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Theoretical Physics PhD

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    If I did a PhD in Theoretical Particle Physics, would I be able to apply to this job?

https://ert.cern.ch/browse_www/wd_pds?p_web_site_id=1&p_web_page_id=9147&p_no_apply=&p_show=N [Broken]

It is looking for an Experimental Physicist but I would be theoretical but I would have the required degree.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2
    Would you also have the required experience? I think this matters more than the actual degree.

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    Yes, I have the experience but it is in a theoretical research role.

5. Jul 14, 2011 #4
    The only way to find out is to apply. What do you have to lose by applying?

6. Jul 14, 2011 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

"THE" experience that the position is seeking for was stated explicitly:

I can see how you would have experience in data analysis, but are you sure you are competent in design and OPERATION of detectors, and handling of detector hardware? It appears that from the entire description of this job, this is a hands-on position where you are expected to be able to design hardware and also be able to know about the physics of these detectors. From what I have seen others in such a position, it involves a lot of physics labor, including hardware assembling and testing.

Do you think you are capable of that work?

Zz.

7. Jul 14, 2011 #6
    From that statement you need more than just your PhD, you also need experience as a post-doc in the particle-physics field.

8. Jul 14, 2011 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, you can apply.

Other people who will be applying will have years of experimental experience, and will have written papers on experimental topics. You will have to convince the committee to hire you over all of them.

9. Jul 14, 2011 #8
    That's assuming that they haven't already decided who to hire, and the job ad is just a pro-forma post to get around a bureaucratic posting requirement. It's very common in these sorts of things to post the job after the committee has made a decision as to who to hire.

10. Jul 15, 2011 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not at CERN.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook