Exploring Theories of Humour: Benign Violation & Industry Standard

• Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theories
In summary, the "Raymond Smullyan Theory of Humor" posits that humor is a tool used to reduce the amount of stress a person experiences. It is a way to cope with the inevitability of death and the absurdity of life.
I_am_learning
Out of all the theories, I find the "Benign Violation Theory" to be most promising.
Lets see if somebody got some counter examples?
Also, what's the Industry Standard Theory, if there is any such thing. ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theories_of_humor

P.S. Philosophy forum seems too tough to get entry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Humor is a topic in catastrophe theory. Imagine a curve in the shape of the letter S on the x-y plane. Extend the end of the curve at the upper right with a straight line to positive infinity and the end at the lower right with a straight line to negative infinity. This is not the graph of a function since it is multi-valued in some places. Imagine gravity pointing in the -y direction and an ant traveling to the left from positive infinity. At some point the ant will reach the curvy part and fall to the line headed for negative infinity. We will laugh because such fallings down are funny. But there is something more fundamental going on. The ant passed through the region of multiple values to the region of a single value. This kind of transition is studied in catastrophe theory. Humor is when we are following a path along a single meaning of a narative that has alternate meanings. When the punchline drags us over the edge to a different path of meaning we laugh. Examples include puns where the multiple values come from homonyms, and knock-knock jokes where a proper noun is one value and an improper one the other. I think that with most humor, you can find that at the punchline, a passage of this type is being made.

I would guess there is a root to humor, that precedes language & culture.

I think humor is to complex to say it's of this or that kinda reasoning, but I do agree with Jimmy / I_am_learning, it is rooted in reasoning.

Perhaps too laugh makes it clear to the brain, DON'T MAKE THIS CONNECTION; IT IS FALSE, maybe why I like jokes about me being short.

I think monkeys laugh too_Oh and hyenas. :smile:

Last edited:
How about the "fuzzy logic" theory of humor. The brain has been compared to a fuzzy logic computer with IBM's new neuromorphic computer chip being perhaps the most advanced fuzzy logic chip thus far. Unlike a conventional computer it can't crash or show a blue screen of death and doing so too frequently would be counter survival anyway. Laughter then could be categorized as a physical feedback system that forces the system to reboot if necessary to escape any causal loops. Already if your computer over heats it will reboot. With a fuzzy logic computer prolonged laughter would force it to reboot and shift the focus of the data processing elsewhere. A built in error detection system that is context sensitive and easily measured.

Last edited:
Since we find humour in lots of diverse situations, The best theory should apparently present a method to generate jokes from raw inputs.
There could be some computer program, which you feed raw inputs like
<Car, Wife, Rainy Day>
And it will generate a Joke from these 3 ingredients.

I_am_learning said:
Since we find humour in lots of diverse situations, The best theory should apparently present a method to generate jokes from raw inputs.
There could be some computer program, which you feed raw inputs like
<Car, Wife, Rainy Day>
And it will generate a Joke from these 3 ingredients.

The fuzzy logic concept I'm talking about is contextual explaining why people find different things funny to different degrees. The Tao Te Ching expresses it this way:

When the great man learns the Way, he follows it with diligence;
When the common man learns the Way, he follows it on occasion;
When the mean man learns the Way, he laughs out loud;
Those who do not laugh, do not learn at all.

All Taoist texts are written in a highly paradoxical style that encourages the reader to interpret the text for themselves by choosing from a number of different possible interpretations. One interpretation they all possesses is a subtle tongue in cheek sense of humor and sages are often depicted with a smile bordering on laughter as if they find life itself mildly humorous. The issue is the subtlety of their sense of humor and its correlation to personal growth rather then what constitutes a joke and what doesn't.

Here's a theory of humor and laughter for you, from the philosopher Raymond Smullyan.

1. What is the Benign Violation Theory of Humour?

The Benign Violation Theory of Humour proposes that humour arises when a situation is perceived as both violating social norms or expectations, and also not posing any actual threat or harm. This creates a sense of incongruity, which is often seen as a key element of humour.

2. How does the Benign Violation Theory explain different types of humour?

The Benign Violation Theory can explain different types of humour by looking at the degree of violation and benignity in a given situation. For example, slapstick humour involves a physical violation that is not seen as harmful, while dark humour involves a violation that is seen as harmful but not actually present.

3. What is the Industry Standard Theory of Humour?

The Industry Standard Theory of Humour suggests that humour is a form of communication that is used to establish and maintain social relationships. It emphasizes the role of context, audience, and social norms in understanding and creating humour.

4. How does the Industry Standard Theory explain the use of humour in different industries?

The Industry Standard Theory can explain the use of humour in different industries by highlighting the social norms and expectations within each industry. For example, the use of humour in advertising may be seen as more acceptable and effective than in a serious industry like healthcare.

5. Are there any limitations to these theories of humour?

While the Benign Violation and Industry Standard Theories offer valuable insights into the mechanisms behind humour, they are not able to fully explain all forms of humour. Humour is a complex and subjective phenomenon, and these theories may not account for individual differences or cultural influences on what is considered funny. Additionally, there may be other factors at play, such as personal experiences and psychological processes, that contribute to our understanding of humour.