Theories on why we fear death?

• Thread starter spikebrdr
  • Start date
By the way, shouldn't light substances move against the pools?

Like stone containing alkalimetals and gases in free form inside of stones etc. what comes there, stays there. I thought about this rare and precious metal, what's it's name?

Last edited:
Death is something everyone is afraid of, but no so much the pain of death. We are all afraid of not knowing what comes next. Where do we go? What happens next? Is there EVEN an afterlife? These questions have plagued mankind since the beginning of time. Certainly, not knowing what comes next is a feeling everyone is a afraid, but I have come to realize this is not why I fear death. I don't fear death because of the unknown. I don't fear death because of the pain. In fact, I don't fear death at all, but I don't want to die. Why? Simply because I feel life is like movie. The earth has had a phenomenal history record and an even brighter future awaiting us. We are all in the midst of this movie. We have seen half of the movie and then we leave. What is going to happen AFTER we die on Earth? What advancements are going to be made? Will theories that have existed for thousands of years finally be proved wrong? Are we finally going to understand the objective of life? THIS is what I don't want to miss. I want to see the future of the world. I think a lot of people share this same ideology with me. There are too many unanswered questions in this world and too many optimistic plans in the future that I just don't want to miss. I don't fear death at all. What I fear, is leaving the world with too little knowledge of its future.

Survivors fear death because its avoidance is imprinted upon them through mostly negative behavioral conditioning and fight-or-flight natural selection.

I don't want to die fearing death in my next life.

Last edited:
Cause that's no good.

Why shouldn't you wake up after death when you wake up from all other unconscious states?

Since life is eternal, no matter if I publish this.

That the neverending universe is not expanding, but the ether is getting more and more excitated has a consequence. You can get energy from nothing. You can create a small big bang. I can't solve the problem right now, but perhaps I will be able to do that soon. Can this be used when traveling through space you wounder.

Sariaht said:
Why shouldn't you wake up after death when you wake up from all other unconscious states?
holy cow! gee wiz, batman!

do you think you found a way of proving that reincarnation really exists???

love & peace,

whatever the purpose of human life is, it certainly needs the life for it. and as someone said above, fear of death is a survival mechanism. it is psychologically confirmed that humans have sorts of switches that prevent suicide, and also that keep our instinct running. that's all in our sub-consciousness so we have no or almost no control over it, it's like breathing.

also it is fear of unknown and fear of loosing everything familiar.

one who has rich and fullfilling life is more afraid of death than one who has nothing or almost nothing to loose.

but it's not dependant wether you wish to die or not, it is that, even a suicide bomber's mind, eager for glory and paradise girls, is taken over by a rush of instincts, much like when you're in a state of shock or similar.

trust me, when the clock ticktacks it's final ticktack and you cross the border, and when awareness of the inevitable abruptly suffocates the last breaths of your consciousness...if we'd have ANY control of ourselves in the moment of death, we'd **** our pants.

hey why are the stars there for? i said "sh1t" ...for all those who don't jump to conclusions:-)

undefinedThe question is why do we fear death? The question might better be, why do you fear death? Not everyone fears death, or even worries about the inevitibility, of it. I don't have any pat answers about what death's transition brings, and yet I don't fear death. I do like being alive in this human form, so I preserve this body, to some extent, and respect the rights of others to live, so I don't run over people as I drive around. I don't kill other people and take their groceries. Though I get more groceries than some people, who die for lack of them.

This is a personal question, why do you fear death? Why do you? The one time I was sure I was going to die, a friend was driving and hit a curve marked 15 miles per hour, and we were doing 75, and excelerating. My response to this influx of information, was to laugh my head off, saying to myself, "I would have never thought that this would be how I met my death!"

It is my opinion that death is just one event, in an infinite string of events. So it is life that you have to worry about, worry about how you live, rather than how you die. Worry about death simply parks you at the abyss.

Al
I would like to point out that form the conciousness point of view, there is no "before" birth (or conception, or first neuronal burst...) and there is no "after" death. Time, universe, reality only "exist" because we see it, so it is likely that we won't experience death. I think that the behavior of conciusness nearing death is like the behavior of a particle approaching a singularity (black hole) as predicted by physicists, time stretches as they grow nearer, in such a way that for an outside observer, it never actually reaches the singularity. From the point of view of an observer next to the particle, the last instant becomes eternity.

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Then how come, from the point of view of someone observing the dying, they die instead of becoming eternally frozen?

Al
It is just an analogy. I was trying to stress the fact that we consiousness is determined by the perception of succesive events, that is time, and time is relative. for the external observer an events follows, and person dies. The dying concioussnes remains in the last event, indefinitely, or until another event involving it happens.
But don't take me wrong, I'm just trying to inferre.