Theory behind a logic puzzle ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a computer game based on Logic and Reasoning where the player has to solve different puzzles, including a matching puzzle involving characters with four special characteristics. The game randomly produces these characters and the player has to guide them through various puzzles. The conversation also mentions using Venn Diagrams and equivalence relations to formalize the game. The original post is 10 years old and the child who was playing the game will be studying Mathematics in university this fall.
musicgold
Hi,

I am helping my children with a computer game based on Logic and Reasoning. The player has to solve different puzzles as the game progresses. I am struggling with a matching puzzle where the player has to form a string of the game characters based on their traits. Please see the attached file for a snapshot of the puzzle. I am not sure how I should approach such a problem. I also wish to know the branch of Mathematics that studies this kind of problems.

Brief background. The characters in the game are called Zoombinis, with each of them having four special characteristics : hair, eyes, nose, and foot. Based on 4/5 variations of the each of the charactristics, the game randomly produces zoombinis. The player has to guide around 16 zoombinis at a time through various puzzles.

At the above mentioned matching puzzle, the game produces a string of holes (where one zoombini can be placed) . Between two holes a picture of one of the 4 characteristics is shown. The two zoombinis on the either side of a picture have to have the same trait. For example, if there is an eye picture between two holes, then the zoombinis on the either side of that picture have to have similar types of eyes; both of them can have sleepy eyes, or wide-open eyes, or eyes covered with glasses.

Thanks,

MG.

Attachments

• Zoombinis.jpg
    Zoombinis.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
As the title you mentioned, Logic and Reasoning, suggests, this game appears to get the child used to isolating features out of a set of features, a skill used in much of reasoning. If you wanted to formalize it, either for yourself or for the child, you could approach it, for example, with Venn Diagrams from set theory. If you wanted to get a little more complicated, then you could introduce "equivalence relations" and "equivalence classes".

Likes musicgold
The original post appears to be 10 years old! The kids have probably grown up by now.

Likes musicgold and nomadreid
Oops o:). I didn't notice the date; it just showed up on a list of questions with "0 replies" next to it. Ah, well, maybe like in Peter Pan, the kids can teach their kids...

PeroK said:
The original post appears to be 10 years old! The kids have probably grown up by now.

Thanks folks. Indeed, the kid who was working on that puzzle will be going to university this fall to study Mathematics!

Likes nomadreid and PeroK

What is a logic puzzle?

A logic puzzle is a type of brain-teasing game or activity that requires players to use logical reasoning and deduction to solve a problem or reach a specific goal. These puzzles often involve a scenario or set of clues, and players must use critical thinking skills to determine the correct solution.

What is the theory behind solving a logic puzzle?

The theory behind solving a logic puzzle involves using deductive reasoning and logical thinking to analyze the given information and eliminate potential solutions until only one remains. This process is known as the process of elimination and is a key aspect of solving any logic puzzle.

What are some common strategies for solving logic puzzles?

Some common strategies for solving logic puzzles include identifying key information, creating a visual or written diagram, using the process of elimination, and trying different combinations until a solution is found. It can also be helpful to work backwards from the given solution to see how it fits with the clues provided.

Are there different types of logic puzzles?

Yes, there are many different types of logic puzzles, including Sudoku, crossword puzzles, brain teasers, riddles, and more. Each type of puzzle may have its own specific rules and strategies for solving, but they all involve using logic and critical thinking skills.

How can solving logic puzzles benefit the brain?

Solving logic puzzles can benefit the brain in many ways, including improving critical thinking skills, memory, concentration, and problem-solving abilities. It can also be a fun and challenging activity that can help to reduce stress and improve overall mental health.