Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory clarification

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    I've heard that if one of your senses go bad or is permenently gone, then one of your other senses become better in return. But i'm not too sure if that's true. I'm not sure that if some nerves go bad that some are reinforced. Can someone clarify if this theory is actually true?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

somasimple

Gold Member

Hi,

About senses, it is true. we enhance the sensitivity of the remaining ones, "compensating" the loss.

About nerves? The question is not clear since competition already exists between neurons giving thge best response we could have. It is, in these conditions, not possible to gain, more.

4. Oct 17, 2005 #3
    well, about the nerves, like, eye nerves. Like, if the eyeball's nerves were to go bad and so on with the theory. I thought that the theory was linked to nerves.

5. Oct 17, 2005 #4

somasimple

Gold Member

It exist effectively some redundance in nerves. But as I said it, if the best candidate dies then the resting one will be promoted with fewer performances.
    This behavior is called competition.

6. Oct 18, 2005 #5
    awsome. But it also depends what kind of disability, right? Like, Myopia, for example, wouldn't work when applied to the theory since it's just light rays hitting infront of the retina.

7. Oct 18, 2005 #6

somasimple

Gold Member

No,

Improving nerves will not improve the optic quality of the eye!

8. Oct 19, 2005 #7
    that's not what i meant. I guess i answered my own question by asking it in the previous post

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?