Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory discussion?

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1
    Does anyone know a physics forum where theory discussion is allowed? My first post was deleted by a mod for trying to discuss ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You're just looking for trouble now, aren't you??

4. Sep 2, 2011 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It was deleted not because you wanted to do a "theory discussion", but rather you wanted to do a speculative theory discussion. There's a difference.

Please re-read the PF Rules. In particular, this part:

This applies throughout this forum.

Zz.

5. Sep 2, 2011 #4
    Yes I understood the first time you said it. That's why it hasn't happened again.

6. Sep 2, 2011 #5
    No. I'm looking for a discussion of a specific topic.

7. Sep 2, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A discussion about what? About which forums do allow speculative posts? Well, do a quick google search for physics forums and see what pops up!! There are a lot of physics forums around! (none of them is as good as PF though :tongue2: )

Maybe try http://www.sciforums.com/

8. Sep 2, 2011 #7
    I'm not permitted to say here. If someone can suggest a good forum in which to talk about it, I'd be happy to explain.

9. Sep 2, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  10. Sep 2, 2011 #9
    Thank you very much sir. Yes I'm already there now having a look, as I should have pointed out. I came across PhysForum and am checking there as well. I apologize for any trouble caused by me posting certain types of ideas.

11. Sep 2, 2011 #10
    Ugh. Both sciforums and physforum are pond scum.

12. Sep 2, 2011 #11
  13. Sep 2, 2011 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean "theory" . The quotes are necessary, because actual, repeatable, confirmable data are necessary in order to have a theory. OP has a speculation.

14. Sep 2, 2011 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

physicsforums.com

Don't be so dramatic. You're not allowed to speculate. You can say "I speculated about [..]" because that sentence in itself is not speculation.

15. Sep 2, 2011 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

16. Sep 2, 2011 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

17. Sep 2, 2011 #16
    Stay here, I'm sure you'll like it better. Just be sure to look over your posts and ensure thet follow all of the forum guidelines. Without those rules, this forum would be a mess of speculations, and stuff of the sort.

If you really need to speculate, then do so, but keep it to yourself, and consider it wrong, as you do not have a proper mathematical understanding of the subject (I'm assuming). I'm not trying to be unfriendly, I'm trying to tell the truth.

18. Sep 3, 2011 #17

Ryan_m_b

There really is no need to go elsewhere, what you can do here at PF is far better than any website where people discuss speculation. Simply ask questions rather than propose answers. E.g

Instead of...
    ...one should say
    Then you and everyone else who is eager to learn can find out! Remember any idea you come up with probably touches on subjects that have already been thoroughly investigated.

19. Sep 3, 2011 #18

Evo

Excellent response Ryna!! And a perfect place to end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook