Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of Cyclical Universe

1. Aug 10, 2010 #1
    Who first proposed a cyclical universe -- Big Bang / Big Crunch / Big Bang / etc. ?

Do any current models account for remnant material outside the Big Crunch as a possible explanation for the non-uniform distribution of matter following the Big Bang?

In other words, is it possible that a previous Big Crunch didn't crunch everything in that universe?

Thank you for commenting.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2010 #2
    While I don't know if he was the first, I did read that Einstein flirted with the idea of an oscillating universe in the 1930's. As for the second part of your question, if I understand you correctly, it is possible that a previous "big crunch" didn't crunch everything. In such a case the gravitational force crushes everything together, but before reaching a singularity vacuum energy causes a "pressure" so great that it prevents total collapse and the universe "bounces".

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook