1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of Damping?

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    Is there a general equation of damping? I know that there is a second ODE for damping with regards to springs, and with RLC circuits, but is there a general form of damping equations (with critical-damp, overdamp, and under-damp). I know how to solve second ODEs, but I was wondering if there was a general equation, because all I could find are equations that relate specifically to springs or RLC Circuits

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try google for multi degree of freedom (MDOF) systems analysed using normal modes.

A general equation in that form is ##\ddot x + 2\beta\omega\dot x + \omega^2 x = f## where ##\beta## is < 1, = 1 or > 1 for under damping, critical, or over damping and ##\omega## is the undamped oscillation frequency.

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3

rbj

it's the same as with RLC or the mechanical spring, mass, and dashpot models.

just a simple 2nd order differential eq.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook