Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of Everything

1. Mar 14, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2

Dr. Sylvester Gates on Sting theory. The best part is the end of his talk, after min 47.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    i wont wacth what you have linked i think it would delute my own concept of a theory of everything -.-, i just want to know if you think it has anythings within it that create conflects with its self?
  5. Mar 17, 2008 #4
    or dose it realy applie to all things :/???
  6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    I would like to here a Theory of Nothing that is somthing we dont know :D
  7. Mar 17, 2008 #6
    Did you know that in 1850 a woman was born and given the name Emma Royd.
  8. Mar 17, 2008 #7

Staff: Mentor

Sting theory?
  9. Mar 17, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sting created the universe. Its less of a theory and more of a self delusion, but he has managed to convince others.
  10. Mar 17, 2008 #9
    :rofl: Thats a bold statement. Leaves a red mark!
  11. Mar 17, 2008 #10
    Ok, so then why are you posting in my thread?
  12. Mar 18, 2008 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to read and heed...this
  13. Mar 18, 2008 #12
    Ok let me repeat the cliche " Is Mathematical beauty enough in the absence of testable predictions?"Your views?
  14. Mar 18, 2008 #13
    Raise your hand if you watched the vidoes I posted...............anyone? anyone?

Oh, I guess were just talking nonsense.
  15. Mar 18, 2008 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for posting this. I watched part of the Einstein video. Hope to finish it this weekend. The other day I picked up a special edition of Discover magazine that is all about Einstein. There's a fun section in the back called "20 things you didn't know about relativity."

The first three:

1 Who invented relativity? Bzzzt—wrong. Galileo hit on the idea in 1639, when he showed that a falling object behaves the same way on a moving ship as it does in a motionless building.

2 And Einstein didn’t call it relativity. The word never appears in his original 1905 paper, “On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies,” and he hated the term, preferring “invariance theory” (because the laws of physics look the same to all observers—nothing “relative” about it).

3 Space-time continuum? Nope, that’s not Einstein either. The idea of time as the fourth dimension came from Hermann Minkowski, one of Einstein’s professors, who once called him a “lazy dog.”

More at:
  16. Mar 18, 2008 #15

Gold Member

Is this the band “Sting”?
    I always thought they would do great things.
  17. Mar 19, 2008 #16
    I've just watched the documentary on Hawking and black holes with Kaku in it, I think String theory is dubious myself, but I would absolutely love to be wrong. I just don't think I am. :smile:

I've seen most of this before though. It's a really good documentary for laymen and academics alike.
  18. Mar 19, 2008 #17
  19. Mar 19, 2008 #18

Staff: Mentor

Those are too funny! :biggrin:
  20. Mar 19, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This has to be the best quote from the entire article:
  21. Mar 19, 2008 #20
    I don't understand why theoretically physicists are trying to create a "theory of everything". Wouldn't that just put them out of a job? :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?