Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of everything

1. Yes, almost definetly

5 vote(s)
  2. Yes, probably

4 vote(s)
  3. Unlikely

3 vote(s)
  4. I do not think it is possible

2 vote(s)
  1. Mar 20, 2003 #1
    Do you think that we will ever be able to produce a theory of everything?

Do you even think that it is possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2003 #2
    Yes, probably, but in name only.
  4. Mar 20, 2003 #3
  5. Mar 20, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think that ultimately there is a level with no more fundamental puzzles. Whether we get to this point before we destroy ourselves or succumb to the singularity is another question.
  6. Mar 20, 2003 #5
    What we label as "TOE" will always fall short by definition, either with respect to including the TOE itself, or tautologically including everything.
  7. Mar 21, 2003 #6
    I doubt so, because we can never know everything, so how can we even produce a theory which can explain everything?
  8. Mar 21, 2003 #7
    Because oh the uncertainty principle, when we'll know everything our brains will be stretched all over the universe...
  9. Mar 21, 2003 #8
    Yes I think that in time it will be discovered
  10. Mar 21, 2003 #9

Science Advisor

Greetings !
    Double NO.

"Does dice play God ?"

Live long and prosper.
  11. Mar 21, 2003 #10
    We'll keep discovering new rules, so making something like the TOE is utterly not possible.
  12. Mar 22, 2003 #11
    I would say unlikely but perhaps not impossible.
  13. Mar 22, 2003 #12
    People, don't misdefine T.O.E. It doesn't mean the theory that incorporates all phenomena, so much as it means the theory that can serve as a ground-work for understanding each new phenomena.
  14. Mar 22, 2003 #13
    What is TOE?

IF by a TOE you mean the cause to all motion in the universe, or an explanation to all motion in the universe, than I can with almost 100percent certainty say that this has already been accomplished by the New Science. If by TOE you mean to include that source of the substance of the universe, I tend to think we are perhaps incapable with our present human minds to find a reasonable potential solution for this mystery.
  15. Mar 23, 2003 #14
    I only bring this up because a lot of you seemed to vote against it, based on the premise that this theory would actually try to explain all phenomena, at once.
  16. Mar 23, 2003 #15
    In other words, physical totality might be represented by a finite mathmatical description.
  17. Mar 24, 2003 #16

Gold Member

Theory of Everything that is mathematically speakable.
  18. Mar 24, 2003 #17
    That's the opposite of what I'm saying. In fact, I was trying to point out that that is what it is not. A Theory of Everything just gives a foundation, so that further understanding can be made, in any field.
  19. Mar 25, 2003 #18
    Are we talking about TOE as it's normally understood - i.e a unification of electric, magnetic, weak + strong nuclear and gravity or are we talking about a more metaphysical thing?

20. Mar 25, 2003 #19
    I voted yes, probably. The universe obeys a set of rules. It seems to me that if there is no theory that can incorporate all those rules, what are we doing? A theory of everything, however, will never be capable of explaining itself.
  21. Mar 25, 2003 #20
    I assumed that we were talking about the first one (that you mentioned), but I guess some of the other members do not agree.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?