Does Initial Velocity Affect Falling Objects' Time to Hit the Ground?

In summary, the debate is about whether an object dropped from a certain height and an object shot from a gun will hit the ground at the same time. This depends on factors such as the direction of the shot and the uniformity of the gravitational field and vacuum. The horizontal and vertical motions of the projectiles are independent of each other in a uniform gravitational field and vacuum. However, in real-life scenarios, factors such as air resistance may affect the results.
OpenIntro
We have a debate going on here, and I am not fresh enough on my physics in order to explain the reason why I am right...I think...lol...

It's a question of gravity...

I know that if two objects are DROPPED at the same height, they will hit the ground at the same time. That's a given. The argument is, if an object is dropped from height x...and an object is, for argument's sake, shot from a gun...will they hit the ground at the same time? One has velocity, and the other doesn't. Does this make a difference?

If someone could explain this out with formulas, it would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
They will reach the ground at the same time only if the one shot from a gun is fired horizontally in a UNIFORM gravitational field and in a vacuum! Since the Earth is round the gravitational field is not uniform and we have an atmosphere so the landing time will generally be different. Of course you may adjust the angle of the projectile (very slightly!) to force them to land at the same time.

In a uniform gravitational field and in a vacuum they will reach the ground at the same time when the bullet is fired horizontally because the horizontal and vertical motions of the projectiles are independent of each other.

Assuming all else is equal and neglecting the effects of air resitsnace, etc. (which shouldn't quakitvely effect the results): it depends on direction that the object is shot : if it is shot towards the ground (i.e. the compnoent of it's velocity downwards is postive) then it will indeed it the ground first. If it is shot parallel to the ground then the two objects will hit the ground at the same time and if it is shot away from the ground (i.e. the component of it's velocity downwards is negative) then it will hit the ground after the object that is simply dropped.

This si as the initial velocity downwards will help to determine the average velocity downwards.

1. What is the theory of gravity?

The theory of gravity, also known as the law of universal gravitation, states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who developed the theory of gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with developing the theory of gravity in the late 17th century. He published his findings in his book "Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

3. How does the theory of gravity explain the motion of objects?

The theory of gravity explains how objects move in the universe by stating that the force of gravity between two objects depends on their masses and the distance between them. This force causes objects to move towards each other.

4. Is the theory of gravity still accepted today?

Yes, the theory of gravity is still accepted and widely used today. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, and it is a fundamental concept in modern physics.

5. What are some practical applications of the theory of gravity?

The theory of gravity has many practical applications, including predicting the motion of celestial bodies such as planets and satellites, designing space missions, and understanding the behavior of objects on Earth, such as the tides and the motion of projectiles.