Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of Ideal Prime Factors

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    I"m working on my math history class project. I choose a topic to discuss about Theory of Ideal Prime Factors by Ernst Eduard Kummer. (1847). I read the material few times, but I don't get an understand of the basic idea how he can come up this theory. Can someone explain it in a simply way of the theory? :smile:
    (I can post if need furter information about the materials, from the book "Classics of Mathematics". by Ronald Calinger)
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What math background do you have ? Have you done a course in number theory ? Also, have you covered groups, rings and ideals ?
  4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    Thanks for reply. I don't think I took any of them. My math background is Cal 1-4, Discrete math, Matirx, differental equation, and a 300 lvl probaility, statistics course. Is it require the in deep number theory understanding in order to understand it or just basic?
  5. Oct 10, 2005 #4
    That, I think, can be approached just as easily through the study of Abstract Algebra. For example, "An Introduction to Algebraic Structures," Dover paperback by Joseph Landin has a section on that: p180, "Principal Ideal and Unique Factorization Domains."
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?