Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of ODE

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    So there's a new class being taught in our department next semester on the theory of ODEs. I took an intro class to ODEs and I think it would be interesting to go into more depth on the subject. Thing is I'm worried that if I take it I'll be doing uniqueness and existence theorems all semester; something I don't want to do. My question to you is: what is there to study in the theory of ODEs?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2
    Stability of solutions, autonomous systems, conservative systems, etc. Perturbation method, qualitative solutions, bifurcations, etc.

4. Nov 1, 2004 #3
    With all due respect I don't know why you are asking us? Why not contact the professor of that course and ask for a sylalbus? Then you would know precisely what that particular instructor intends to cover. Or better yet, visit with the instructor in person, or over the phone if at all possible.

5. Nov 1, 2004 #4

Mk

What are ODEs?

6. Nov 2, 2004 #5
    ... Ordinary Differential Equation.

unlike PDE (Partial Differential Equation)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?