1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory of Relativity, Gravity

1. Nov 29, 2015 #1
    It may be a silly question because I'm not sure if I really understand the result of this theory, but does it say that gravity is the force of the space pushing us to earth? If it is so I have a question that I'll edit here! thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

No, general relativity does not say that.

4. Nov 29, 2015 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It says that the "push to Earth" is just following a straight-line path in space-time. There is no "push" needed, since objects will naturally follow a straight-line path.

5. Nov 29, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

@CollinsArg, just to expand slightly on what FactChecker said, Newtonian theory says that gravity is a force that is the result of the natural attraction of two bodies. GR on the other hand says that what we call "gravity" is not a force, it is just the natural result of objects following space-time geodesics created by mass. In GR, your body is following a natural geodesic towards the center of the Earth but the surface of the Earth stops you from following that path.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook