Theory of Relativity, Gravity

• Thread starter CollinsArg
  • Start date
It may be a silly question because I'm not sure if I really understand the result of this theory, but does it say that gravity is the force of the space pushing us to earth? If it is so I have a question that I'll edit here! thank you

Answers and Replies

Nugatory
Mentor
does it say that gravity is the force of the space pushing us to earth?
No, general relativity does not say that.

Likes Chestermiller and CollinsArg
FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It may be a silly question because I'm not sure if I really understand the result of this theory, but does it say that gravity is the force of the space pushing us to earth? If it is so I have a question that I'll edit here! thank you
It says that the "push to Earth" is just following a straight-line path in space-time. There is no "push" needed, since objects will naturally follow a straight-line path.

Likes CollinsArg
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
@CollinsArg, just to expand slightly on what FactChecker said, Newtonian theory says that gravity is a force that is the result of the natural attraction of two bodies. GR on the other hand says that what we call "gravity" is not a force, it is just the natural result of objects following space-time geodesics created by mass. In GR, your body is following a natural geodesic towards the center of the Earth but the surface of the Earth stops you from following that path.

Likes CollinsArg