Why do time, distance, and mass change in Einstein's theory of relativity?

In summary, the three key parts of Einstein's theory of relativity are space travel (time slowing at high speeds), increase of mass with speed, and length contraction. These concepts can be difficult to grasp, but they explain how time, distance, and mass change at high speeds. It is important to note that these effects are relative and depend on the observer's frame of reference.
Masest
Alright, i have a final and i have to explain just three parts to einstein's theory of relativity... they are space travel (time slowing nearing the speed of light), increase of mass with speed, and length contraction... the space travel makes no sense, and the mass one, i have mixed feelings about... i know that mass is the amount of matter something has, but as somethign speeds up, it gets more matter? it doesn't make sense... and the length contraction seems backwards too... normally when you see a car fly by really fast, it looks a little longer... man if i were einstein, then i would know, but seeing as how i am just in high school, it doesn't make to much sense... please help

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, mass is NOT "the amount of matter something has". Mass is a measure of inertia- it measures how much force it takes to change the velocity of an object. That is what increases with speed.

I'm not sure at all what you mean by "normally when you see a car fly by really fast, it looks a little longer". I've never noticed that! In any case I assure you that you have never seen "a car fly by" at speeds where relativistic effects would be noticed! In order for the contraction be as much as a millimeter, say, on a car of length 4 meters, the car would have to be going about 97% the speed of light or about one 1,700,000,000 miles per hour!

I am puzzled why you would have to write three parts of Einstein's theory of relativity if you have not been taught any of this and there is nothing in your textbook about it.

well, our whole class is taking it apart and split it all into groups... we were chosen for those three... now that i think about the car, it doesn't quite make sense... but why does the length contract? i think i have figured out the space time thing, and i think i am grasping hold of the mass increase, but length contraction is what we need to work on now

Masest said:
well, our whole class is taking it apart and split it all into groups... we were chosen for those three... now that i think about the car, it doesn't quite make sense... but why does the length contract? i think i have figured out the space time thing, and i think i am grasping hold of the mass increase, but length contraction is what we need to work on now

I'm assuming that you aren't actually being asked to explain 'why' these things happen, but merely 'how' things will happen.

If you are at rest relative to the car:

(1) time passes more slowly in the car than for you
(2) yardsticks in the car are shorter than yardsticks are for you
(3) two equal masses when both are at rest will be different if one of them is put in the car (that one will have greater mass than the one that you keep)

The weird thing is, for someone in the car, all of those effects are reversed. If I'm in the car:

(1) Time passes more slowly for people standing on the road
(2) Distances will compress (the road itself will get shorter)
(3) Masses on the roadside will increase

This dual effect is one of the hardest things to understand about relativity.

Last edited:

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and has revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

What are the two main components of the theory of relativity?

The two main components of the theory of relativity are the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. The special theory of relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while the general theory of relativity includes the effects of gravity in the theory.

How does the theory of relativity help us understand the universe?

The theory of relativity has helped us understand the fundamental principles of space and time, including the concept of the speed of light being constant and the relationship between mass and energy. It has also provided a framework for understanding the behavior of celestial bodies and the structure of the universe.

Can you explain the concept of time dilation in the theory of relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of relativity where time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. This means that time is not constant and can be affected by the speed and gravity of an object.

How has the theory of relativity been proven?

The theory of relativity has been proven through numerous experiments, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. Additionally, the theory has been confirmed through various astronomical observations and technological applications, such as GPS systems.