Theory of small oscilations

• Thread starter rmfw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normal modes of oscillation using matrices and ratios. The speaker has solved the problem and obtained two positive solutions, but is unsure about the different configurations of amplitudes for each solution. They request clarification on the relationship between normal frequencies and amplitude configurations.
rmfw

Homework Statement

(see pic)

[itex]\frac{l_{2}}{l_{1}} = \frac{1}{4} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{g}{l_{1}} = 1 [/itex]

I need to find the normal modes of oscillation. (for small oscillations)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the problem using the matricial way and got the following matrix: (I simplified it using the above ratios)[itex] V - wT = m \begin{pmatrix}
1 - w^2 & -1/4 \\
-1/4 & 1/8 - w^2/48
\end{pmatrix}

[/itex]Solving the determinant of the matrix I got two positive solutions. Now the thing is for each solution I got two different configurations of amplitudes. I thought that each normal frequency would give me only one configuration of amplitudes. Can you make this clear for me? Thanks.

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, sorry but what was the problem statement? where is the mass located? It is hard to follow along without knowing that...

What is the Theory of Small Oscillations?

The Theory of Small Oscillations is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a physical system that is undergoing small, periodic oscillations around a stable equilibrium point. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics and is used to analyze the dynamics of systems such as pendulums, springs, and circuits.

What are the assumptions of the Theory of Small Oscillations?

The Theory of Small Oscillations makes several key assumptions, including: the system is in static equilibrium at the equilibrium point, the system is linear and can be described by a linear differential equation, and the amplitude of oscillation is small enough that higher order terms can be ignored.

How is the Theory of Small Oscillations applied in real world scenarios?

The Theory of Small Oscillations has many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of mechanical and electrical systems, the study of molecular vibrations and chemical reactions, and the understanding of seismic waves and sound waves.

What is the relationship between the Theory of Small Oscillations and the Harmonic Oscillator?

The Harmonic Oscillator is a specific type of system that follows the principles of the Theory of Small Oscillations. It is characterized by a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. Many physical systems, such as springs and pendulums, can be modeled as harmonic oscillators.

What are the limitations of the Theory of Small Oscillations?

The Theory of Small Oscillations is limited to systems that can be described by a linear differential equation and have small amplitudes of oscillation. It also does not take into account external factors such as friction and damping. Additionally, it may not accurately predict the behavior of systems with large initial displacements or when the system is far from equilibrium.