Where Can I Find Detailed Information on the Theory of Tides?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theory of tides and the request for more information on the derivation and explanation of the tidal forcing section. The individual has already looked at the section in Taylor's Classical Mechanics and has not found many journal articles on the topic. They suggest checking the 24 references and 15 external links listed at the bottom of the Wikipedia article, but note that they may not cover all the questions. The individual is specifically looking for information on the moon's relation to tides and finds that some sources are too basic while others have equations and symbols without explanation.
Dustinsfl
Where can I get more information on the theory of tides?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_tides

I would like to see more of the derivation and explanation of the tidal forcing section in the link above.

I have read the section Taylor's Classical Mechanics on Tidal Force as well.

I can't find many journal articles on tidal forces either.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's 24 references and about 15 external links at the bottom of the wiki article. They may not answer all your questions but they are a good start. Remember, even one of the references listed in the wiki article may have a dozen or more references to check as well.

Those references don't cover the perpestive I am looking for. I want information that has to do with the moon relation that is substantial. The ones that do cover that are too remedial or have equations and symbols with no explanation to what they are.

1. What is the theory of tides?

The theory of tides is a scientific explanation for the phenomenon of rising and falling of the Earth's ocean surface. It states that the gravitational pull of the moon and the sun on the Earth's waters is responsible for the tides we observe.

2. How does the moon affect tides?

The moon's gravitational force is the primary factor in causing tides. As the moon orbits the Earth, its gravitational pull creates a bulge in the ocean on the side of the Earth closest to the moon, resulting in a high tide. At the same time, there is a second bulge on the opposite side of the Earth, creating another high tide. The areas in between experience low tides.

3. What is the difference between spring tides and neap tides?

Spring tides occur when the sun, moon, and Earth are aligned, creating the highest high tides and the lowest low tides. This happens twice a month, during the full and new moon phases. Neap tides occur when the sun and moon are at right angles to each other, resulting in the lowest high tides and the highest low tides. This happens twice a month, during the first and third quarter moon phases.

4. Can tides be predicted?

Yes, tides can be predicted using mathematical models based on the positions of the sun and moon. Tide tables and charts are created using this information and are used by sailors, fishermen, and other mariners to navigate the oceans.

5. How do tides impact coastal communities?

Tides can have significant impacts on coastal communities. High tides can cause flooding, erosion, and other damage to coastal areas. Low tides can affect activities such as fishing and beachcombing. In some areas, the regular ebb and flow of tides can also generate renewable energy through tidal power systems.