Theory of traffic flow/ poisson arrivals and mean delay

In summary: Therefore, the mean delay for a customer arriving at the queue is equal to 0.336 times the proportionality constant k. In summary, the mean delay can be calculated using the formula d = kn, where k is the proportionality constant and n is the number of customers in the system. Using the information provided in the theorem, we can calculate the mean delay by taking the weighted average of the mean delay for each possible value of n.
catcherintherye
Hello, From the following formula in the following theorem I am to deduce the mean delay of a customer arriving at a queue.

Theorem 1

Suppose that customers arrive at a single server queue according to a Poisson process mean rate q and that service times are exponentially distributed mean rate Q^-1.
Then provided that the traffic intensity x = q/Q < 1

the queue length distribution in equilibrium is

P_n = (1-x)x^n (x >=0)

where n is the number of customers in the system including any in service

Some notes on notation

Q = capacity of the queue i.e. the maximum mean rate of service

q = the mean arrival rate (customers/sec)

d= mean delay incurred by a customer in the queue which is equal to the difference between the time it takes to pass through the queue and the time it would normally take in the absense of other customers.

This is how I have so far approached the solution.

Suppose that delay is proportional to the number of customers in the system. Then d=kn for some proportionality constant n.

now i proceeded by considering a particular case namely settin g q=0.3 and Q=1

P(n=0) = 700/1000 (so 700 times out of 1000 there is no delay)

P(n=1) = 210/1000 (210 " " a delay of k seconds)

P(n=2) = 63/1000 (63 " " " 2k secs)

but then i got stuck, how do i find the mean delay for a customer arriving at this queue, i know i am to take an average of the above values, but not really sure how to proceed...??

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:The mean delay of a customer arriving at a queue can be calculated using the equation d = kn, where k is the proportionality constant and n is the number of customers in the system. Given the information provided in the theorem, we can calculate the mean delay as follows: First, we need to calculate the proportionality constant k. To do this, we need to solve for P_n, which is the probability that there are n customers in the system including any in service. From the theorem, we know that P_n = (1-x)x^n, where x = q/Q. Substituting the values for q and Q given in the problem (q = 0.3 and Q = 1), we get x = 0.3. Therefore, P_n = (1-0.3)0.3^n. Next, we need to calculate the mean delay for each value of n. To do this, we use the equation d = kn, where k is the proportionality constant. For n = 0, the mean delay is 0. For n = 1, the mean delay is k. For n = 2, the mean delay is 2k. Now, we need to calculate the mean delay by taking an average of the above values. To do this, we first calculate the probability of each value of n occurring. This can be done by substituting the value of P_n into the equation. For n = 0, the probability is 0.7. For n = 1, the probability is 0.21. For n = 2, the probability is 0.063. Now, we can calculate the mean delay by taking the weighted average of the three values of n. The formula for calculating the weighted average is: Mean Delay = (P(n=0) x 0) + (P(n=1) x k) + (P(n=2) x 2k) Substituting the values for P(n=0), P(n=1), and P(n=2) from above, we get: Mean Delay = (0.7 x 0) + (0.21 x

1. What is the theory of traffic flow?

The theory of traffic flow is a branch of traffic engineering that studies the movement of vehicles and pedestrians on roadways and other transportation networks. It aims to understand and predict the behavior of traffic flow in order to improve the efficiency and safety of transportation systems.

2. How does Poisson arrival affect traffic flow?

The Poisson arrival process is a mathematical model that describes the arrival of vehicles or pedestrians at a particular location or time interval. In traffic flow theory, it is used to predict the number of vehicles that will arrive at a certain point in time. This information is important for traffic engineers to determine the capacity and level of service of a roadway.

3. What is mean delay in traffic flow?

Mean delay refers to the average amount of time that vehicles or pedestrians are delayed in their journey due to traffic congestion or other factors. It is a key performance measure in traffic flow theory and is used to evaluate the effectiveness of traffic management strategies.

4. How is the theory of traffic flow applied in real-world situations?

The theory of traffic flow has many practical applications in transportation planning and management. It is used to design and optimize road networks, develop traffic control strategies, and assess the impact of new developments on traffic flow. It is also applied in the development of intelligent transportation systems and traffic simulation models.

5. What are some limitations of the theory of traffic flow?

While the theory of traffic flow has been extensively studied and applied, it does have some limitations. It is based on many simplifying assumptions and may not accurately represent the complex and dynamic nature of real-world traffic. Additionally, it does not take into account human behavior or unexpected events such as accidents or road closures, which can significantly impact traffic flow.