Theory on How land came about on water dominated Earth

In summary: Europa, a continent that has been covered in liquid water until comet impacts and volcanoes eventually gave way to land mass? now i must be able to explain Pangea... how did all the land pop up in the same place at once? perhaps the Earth at that time, was only spewing lava in one location.. it's plate tectonics were just getting underway.. is it not safe to say? Pangea slowly ripped apart forming new faults, ring of fire etc.The Moon is not Europa. We cannot make an assumption that Earth may have resembled something such as the moon because we do not have enough information.
dgoodpasture2005
If Earth is 70% water, and we see land being created by volcanoes... then would it be safe to make an ASSUMPTION that Earth may have once resembled something such as the moon EDIT: Europa. Covered fully in liquid water until comet impacts and volcanoes eventually gave way to land mass? Now i must be able to explain Pangea... how did all the land pop up in the same place at once? perhaps the Earth at that time, was only spewing lava in one location.. it's plate tectonics were just getting underway.. is it not safe to say? Pangea slowly ripped apart forming new faults, ring of fire etc. I have not thought this through to much, nor have i done any studies, it;s just an idea at the moment, but 'id like some input if you could thanks, positive or negative, but please explain your position, so i can gain some data and more ideas as well... Thanks

David.

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
1018 tons of water in 6x1021 tons planetary mass ain't 70% --- do not confuse surface area ratios with mass.

ah yes, sorry, i meant surface area water... i can picture an Earth covered in water only... but i don't have exact depths etc... or i could calculate how much water would cover land if land was distributed evenly throughout the Earth. This could also help back up evolutionist who argue we evolved in the Ocean. I don't want to get to far ahead of myself yet.

Last edited:
Well on the back of an envellope with gross gestimations. If the average dept of the oceans (70%) is -3000 meter and the average land elevation (30%) is 500 meters, then a perfect geoid shape without elevation differences would have been covered with 2100 + 150 = 2250 meters of ocean. Roughly of course.

this is great, thanks Andre and Bystander. I think we can all work on this here at physics forums, there are some great minds here... this seems like a plausible theory to me.

Pangea was not the original landmass. It formed from several smaller ones (sutre belts marking the joining points include the Atlas, Ural and Appalachian mountains). Two previous supercontinents are also thought to have existed prior to this- Pannotia and Rodinia, but these too formed of pre-existing land masses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangea

It's thought that the first crust was basic (alkaline) much like modern oceanic crust, and was short lived, leaving little to no evidence of it's existence. A little acidic (continental) crust is likely to have formed at subduction zones as island arcs, much like today. Partial melting and rising of granite bodies either during subduction, rifting or heating could account for the early continental crust. It is thought that direct vertical accretion of continental crust from the mantle played a more significant role in early formation than lateral accretion such as along subduction zones.

It's very hard to tell what happened in the early history of the earth, as most early rocks (if they survived) have been severely altered by subsequent events. One of my textbooks (possibly webster) said something along the lines of:
"Interpreting precambrian events is like solving a crime where 99.9% of the evidence has been lost, destroyed or altered"

I think you started too late in the Earth's life with your theory. Last night on NGC there was a program which stated water most likely came from an asteroid (other celestial body) impact 50 million years into the existence of Earth and a few more hundred million years for it too spread into massive quantities by biological process. Actually a bit of a lie, they meant oxygen and water but close enough I suppose.

Has there ever been a time in which the Earth was completely swamped in water? And are you asking about plate tectonics or a landmass protruding from the water?

Magma contains a significant amount of water too, and it often escapes during volcanic eruptions. I'm not sure how much of the ocean can be attributed to this, but I'd guess a significant proportion.

Tectonic Plates along with continental plates.colliding under the earth, causing a fault in the Earth's core..resulting in magma spewing out, dehydrating bits of water and creating land ( under water) and eventually the underground bits of land formed surface land...?

just an idea..

1. What is the most widely accepted theory on how land formed on a water-dominated Earth?

The most widely accepted theory is plate tectonics, which suggests that the Earth's crust is made up of several large plates that move and shift over time.

2. How did plate tectonics contribute to the formation of land on Earth?

As the plates move, they can collide, causing the formation of mountains and other landforms. They can also create gaps, or rifts, where new land can form.

3. Are there any other theories for how land formed on Earth?

Yes, there are other theories such as the hydroplate theory and the expanding Earth theory. However, these theories have not been widely accepted by the scientific community.

4. How long did it take for land to form on Earth?

The process of land formation has been a gradual and ongoing process over billions of years. The exact timeframe is difficult to determine, as it has been influenced by various factors such as plate movement and erosion.

5. How does the formation of land on Earth continue to impact the planet?

The formation of land on Earth continues to shape the planet's surface and influence various geological processes such as erosion and sedimentation. It also plays a role in the distribution of resources and the Earth's climate patterns.