1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theory question

1. Mar 21, 2005 #1
    i have a question where it asks me to find the uncertainty in a ball's postion (m=50g). i have that part all figured out, but then it asks me what the answer indicates about the relevance of quantum mechanics to macroscopic objects. (the answer was approx. 10^-32m, a very small uncertainty). i am having troubles understanding this. i'm not sure what to do. i know that HUP in general says that we can't know with certainty both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time, and the equation
    (delta x)(delta p) >h/4pi.

i'm not sure where to go with this. any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the typical range of macroscopic objects...?In "m".Compare that value with the uncertainty u found...

Daniel.

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    so the size of macroscopic objects is much larger than what the uncertainty in their positions. i'm not sure what this means in regards to quantum mechanics. i find quantum physics so confusing and i highly respect anyone who understands and enjoys it.

5. Mar 22, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So QM has given u a number which is about 27 order of magnitude off the realms of macroscopical physics.The conclusion is simple:QM and the HUP in particular give nonsignificative results when applied to macroscopic objects.

Daniel.

6. Mar 22, 2005 #5
    this is probably a stupid question, but what exactly qualifies as macroscopic ie)what is the actual range?

also, i get the question now. it was much simpler than what i was trying to make it out to be. thanks for the imput. you physics guys rock.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?