Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

There are no evil Bobs

1. Jun 26, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have this theory that there are no evil Bobs. I base this on the fact that I never met a Bob I didn’t like. Historically, the name Bob does not lend itself to infamy. There are no “Bob the Rippers”, no “Bob the Impalers”, etc.

This is not to suggest that there are no evil Roberts. I’ve known a few. But Bobs are special. Bobs are an extremely good-natured subset of Roberts, and I have never known a Bob that was the slightest bit evil in nature. I have discovered that I actually have a Bob bias. In fact, when choosing a professor, I'll seek out the ones named Robert and if I can find out that he goes by Bob, I'll sign up for the course immediately.

So prove me wrong. Post your evil Bob stories here. :devil:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Bob Newhart is truly evil. His phone call to Sir Walter Raleigh was so funny it made me start smoking.

4. Jun 26, 2005 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only Bob I know is sound as a pound. He's so nice that we can call him Ugly Bob, and he doesn't even care! In fact, he likes it!

5. Jun 26, 2005 #4
    But in his basement laboratory, late at night, Bob is making plans...

6. Jun 26, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eevviill plans?

7. Jun 26, 2005 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm remain convinced that Bob-liness is next to God-liness.

8. Jun 26, 2005 #7
    So far looking good. I do not know any evil bobs either!

9. Jun 26, 2005 #8
    Math Is Hard, you are on to something. It is fully supported by this well know Hollywood lore I just made up:

On the set of any film where Robert DeNiro plays a good character, everyone refers to him as "Bob". But when he plays evil people, like in Cape Fear, everyone on the set calls him "Robert."

10. Jun 26, 2005 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

My uncles name is Bob and hes great! I also knew a few roberts back in high school and they were all cool.

11. Jun 26, 2005 #10
    And, whooaaah! Check this out:

"Robert" spelled backward, is:

Trebor

But "Bob" spelled backward, is:

Bob

It really makes you think.

12. Jun 26, 2005 #11

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does The Dread Pirate Roberts count?

[​IMG]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

13. Jun 26, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it doesn't, actually. I want examples of evil Bobs. Eeeeeevil Bobs! I don't think there are any. :approve:

And, thanks for your input Tom, but...

Roberts <> Bob. :biggrin:

p.s. I'm not sure there are any evil Toms either, but I'm not ready to present that theory yet. I need more evidence, and I still have to work around that "Uncle Tom's Cabin" problem.

14. Jun 26, 2005 #13
    I once knew an evil Bob...

He hit his children...my mother never even knew it...

But he's gone now. :)

15. Jun 26, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you. I appreciate your being so candid. This is the stuff that could dismantle my theory. I can't help but wonder how others perceived him, even though you knew the truth about him.

16. Jun 26, 2005 #15

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, there is this guy:

http://boblordofevil.keenspace.com/

17. Jun 26, 2005 #16

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And a google search yields evil bob.

18. Jun 26, 2005 #17
    SIDESHOW BOB!!!!!!!!!!! Or do fictional characters not count?

19. Jun 26, 2005 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Damn! My theory weakens. I must call the university and postpone the reading of the thesis. And cancel the caterer, too. I'm not ready to defend. :grumpy:

However, let me just say this: I'm not completely convinced, except for one instance, of evil Bobs occurring in nature. In the fictional cases, I think that the authors merely desire to create a humorous irony in juxtaposing the name Bob with our traditional concepts of evil. It is the very "non-evilness" of the benign name of Bob that leads him/her to do such a thing in the first place.

More research is needed.

20. Jun 26, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know of an evil Bobby who cheated on his wife and ran out on his kids without paying child support (car salesman to boot), but as far as I know, he never went by the name Bob.

But the Bob I know is the most laid-back, mellow sort of person you've ever met.

21. Jun 26, 2005 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

Your theory is great and I think there are lots of evil Bobs because I hate this name :grumpy: I think you shouldn't start proving your theory here by asking members' oppinion.you know you should ask some of members "what's your name?",so you were able to develope your theory better.I mean there was no need to redo everything for evil Toms...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?