Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

There is no speed faster than the speed of light?

1. Sep 30, 2004 #1
    How do scientist know that there is no speed faster than the speed of light?

Could anything be faster, even forces?

can you please link me to a site where they have the explenation of why light is the fastest thing
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The explanation lies within' numbers.

When the Michelson-Morley experiment showed that light is constant, the result of this, theotically, resulted in that the speed of light is not obtainable or can not be surpassed.

Pick any Special Relativity, and it will explain it to you.

Note: I don't know the proof of this myself, but I do know that it is the consequence of light being constant.
  4. Sep 30, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Einstein postulated that the speed of light is constant (based on observation and failure to detect the "ether") and that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of references. If those conditions are true then it follows that no material object can ever be accelerated up to or beyond the speed of light. Essentially, it would require an infinite amount of energy to do so.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?