1. PF Insights is off to a great start! Fresh and interesting articles on all things science and math. Here: PF Insights

'There is no time' - Wired magazine

1. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Humm....I'm not sure what to say. Regardless, it takes alot of gutts for somebody who has not even completed college to come out and say that Hawking is wrong.

4. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

or stupidity...

One journal said that he didn't have a basic understanding of calculus, thats what made me kinda laugh. I really don't know if i should continue to read Wired if this stuff turns out to be as stupid as it seems and it gets published.

5. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,524
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most people who make such statements never finished college. :biggrin:

6. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

So whats your take on this ivan :D

Who are these "time theorists"?

7. Why are people, including recognized physicsts like David Deutsch, even taking interest in this guy? There must have been a spark of some sort that sets him apart from other so called "time theorists" and others with similar claims. I'm not saying I think theres anything to this guy.

8. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,524
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea as yet. I plan to read up a little when I have more time and a working brain [~1.5 hrs of sleep last night]. But if DD is interested, then I'm interested.

9. True.

But so was a lowly patent clerk once judged.

Not making comparisons, just pointing out some biases.

At the very least he's thinking outside of the box.

More people should do that.

10. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

If it makes any sense....

Otherwise, it shouldn't be taking up magazine space :P

11. Integral

Integral 7,346
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL!

That lowly patent clerk had just completed a PhD in physics at one of the better universites in the world. This is not even similar to the topic of this thread.

If you have no idea where the box is, how can you think outside of it?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2005
  12. I don't know if Lynd is right or not, but I agree that he isn't saying anything new. Let's give Parmenides some credit here. There is nothing shocking or new about saying some aspect (or all) of reality is an illusion, even though such talk still makes me squirm.

13. jma2001

jma2001 89
    Gold Member

Interesting web site you have there! But, is there an About page somewhere that tells a little about yourself and your background? I generally like to know something about an author before I spend a lot of time reading his or her articles.

14. No, I've been meaning to do such a page, but haven't got round to it yet. But I take your point, so I'll try to give it higher priority.

15. I don't think Lynds ideas make any sense. He says there is no time, only sequences of events. How can "sequences" take place in any medium but time?

16. I'm not sure that the 'sequences of events' are really part of Lynds' philosophy, this seems to be just the summary of the writer of the Wired article. They seem more like Julian Barbour's idea, which I think is the opposite of Lynds - I'm not surprised that the two fell out.

17. Right, I can picture Parmenides and Zeno mulling over a similiar question only to determine that, well, sequences don't take place. But, maybe he thinks all sequences of events have already occurred, and our consciousness creates 'time', or the illusory sequence aspect of reality.

18. If this is the case, then the only other idea he seems to be proposing to respond to is that time isn't quantized, that it is a smooth, continuous flow. I don't find that to be objectionable. As far as I know physics doesn't assert the existence of any quanta of time.

19. I've done alot of thinking about this. It seems that if our consciousness were analagous to a record player "playing" a pre-existing recording, it would still be playing it over time. The events it is watching may, indeed, all exist all at once, but the observation of them, in sequence, still has to take place over time.

20. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The real question of this thread is can you have succession of events without time?. I think you can.

Consider the causal sets approach to quantum gravity or the causal dynamic triangulations approach. Both of these take cause to be prior to time. That if one event causes another, then the second one is later in time than the first is a theorem, or an emppirical discovery for them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?