There is no you. There is only me.

• Medical
  • Thread starter TheAntiRelative
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of existence and how it is perceived by different individuals. It delves into the idea of the self and how it is influenced by external stimuli, such as caregivers and environment. The conversation also touches on the idea of narcissism and how it may be influenced by a lack of trust and intimacy in early experiences. It concludes by suggesting that we are all interconnected and play a role in each other's lives.
TheAntiRelative
I'm very familiar with the almost ubiquitous narcissitic delusion that people have of their own conception of reality being reality's ultimate source.

Does the inverse of this exist in many or any people at all?
There is no me. There is only you.

Are some people so dependant that they get the impression that if people stop thinking about them they will cease to exist? It seems extraordinarily unlikely based on my personal experience but such is the limitation of personal experience. (irony intended)

Biology news on Phys.org
heh, if no one responded.. would you wonder if you existed?
It is the idea that we receive and percieve stimuli that makes us understand we exist.

Without any type of learning or impact from environment, we would probably consider that we don't exist. Such a thing could be psychologically possible, but very rare I would consider and idiotic.

Also, anyone that replies with the words: my, i'm, I, thy, etc..
Ownership of self or misc. item. Such things show you exist.
Such things relate to ontology.

I guess if you were me, then you could create the philosophy that you don't exist. But that's reserved for me. Nah, just assume that you are actually composed of intelligent life called atoms which have a quantum physical behavior of their own, which they actually own you together in a group. You don't own you, they own you. Without them, you don't exist.

Last edited:
As tiny infants, we learn because of the mimicing and repetitions of our caregivers. We smile, baby smiles; baby smiles, we smile. The little mind grows exponentially in response to stimulus and repetition, and feeding and affection. The more regular occurences in a baby's life, the more stimulus, the more their intelligence grows, and the security to develop intellect sets up.

People that are narcissistic, possibly were left to be more self reliant than they would have liked to be. Perhaps they were well fed, and stimulated, but abused so there were no trust or intimacy bonds to be formed. Since they had to not trust, to survive, perhaps they think that everyone really lives that way.

I think that we are all bit players in each other's plays, with the exception of very close relations where bonds of trust and interest draw us out.

1. What does the phrase "There is no you. There is only me." mean?

The phrase is a philosophical statement that suggests that the concept of the individual self is an illusion and that ultimately, everything and everyone is interconnected and part of a larger whole.

2. Who first said "There is no you. There is only me."?

The phrase is often attributed to the ancient Indian sage and philosopher, Adi Shankara, who is known for his teachings on non-dualism and the concept of Advaita Vedanta.

3. Is the statement "There is no you. There is only me." scientifically proven?

No, the statement is a philosophical concept and cannot be scientifically proven. However, it aligns with some scientific theories such as quantum entanglement and the interconnectedness of all things.

4. What are the implications of believing in "There is no you. There is only me."?

Believing in this statement can lead to a sense of unity and connectedness with others and the world around us. It can also challenge individualistic thinking and encourage a more holistic perspective.

5. How can one apply the concept of "There is no you. There is only me." in daily life?

One can apply this concept by practicing empathy and understanding that everyone and everything is connected. It can also be a reminder to let go of ego and embrace a more compassionate and cooperative mindset.