Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

There is one cylinder and one metal plate. help me calculation of electric field.

1. May 3, 2012 #1
    i have to design one shielding box. in that there is cylinder having high volatage +60kev. and box having metal plate. so i have to calculate the electric field on that cylinder and then decide , what should be the distance in between plate and cylinder. i have attach the geometry on the file. please see it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2012 #2
    Could anyone help me ?

4. May 3, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you use some approximation, like d>>R?
    In that case, it should be possible to approximate the box as a cylinder, and calculate it like a cylindrical capacitor using Gauss' law (google should give you some ways to do this).

If not, a numerical simulation might be the easiest way to solve your problem.

5. May 3, 2012 #4
    yes, thanks ... bt i think i wl get that for cylindrical capacitor. bt right now i have another design.. bt i wl try for solving it.
    btw what type of numerical solution that i should use??

6. May 3, 2012 #5
    For a cylinder and one metal plate, the capacitance per unit length is given by Smythe Static and Dynamic Electricity 3rd edition page 78:
    [tex] C=\frac{2\pi\epsilon}{cosh^{-1}\frac{h}{R}} [/tex]
    for cylinder of radius R with axis parallel to and at a distance h above an infinite plane. The problem of a cylinder between two conducting planes is given on page 105.

7. May 5, 2012 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A two-dimensional grid, for example. Use your favourite tool, plug in the boundary conditions for the potential Φ (box and circle) and the Laplace equation [itex]\nabla^2 \Phi = 0[/itex] in the vacuum (or air, as good approximation).

In excel, the result can look like this (I did this for a cylinder over an infinite plane orthogonal to the cylinder axis, and it uses cylindrical coordinates).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook