1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theres gotta be an easier way

1. May 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the points on the surface xy^2z^3 = 2 that are closest to the origin

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

is there an easier way to do this than to plug it into the distance formula and taking the derivative set to 0.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the square of the distance formula.

Also, and this may be what you are looking for, instead of using xy2z3= 2 to replace one variable with the other two, use "Lagrange multipliers". If we write f(x,y,z)= x2+ y2+ z2, the square of the distance to the origin, and g(x,y,z)= xy2z3= 2, then max or min values of f, for points that satisfy g(x,y,z)= 2 must have [itex]\nabla f[/itex] parallel to [itex]\nabla g[/itex]- one must be a multiple of the other. Setting [itex]\nabla f= \lambda g[/itex] and comparing the components, together with g(x,y,z)= 2, gives 4 equations to solve for x, y, z, and [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Tip: since you are not interested in the value of [itex]\lambda[/itex], and [itex]\lambda[/itex] is simply multiplied by the functions of x, y, and z, often a best first thing to do is to divide one equation by another to eliminate [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. May 5, 2009 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I case you need to look that up, Halls meant Lagrange multipliers, not Laplace.

5. May 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks, matt, I have editted that.

6. May 6, 2009 #5
    ok i got a little stuck, heres my work, BTW k = lagrange multiplier

f(x,y,z) = x2 + y2 + z2
    g(x,y,z) = xy2z3 = 2

grad f = 2xi + 2yj + 2zk
    k grad g = k(y2z3i + 2xyz3j + 3z2xy2k

k = 2x/y2z3
    k = 1/xz3
    k = 2/3zxy2

and im lost

7. May 7, 2009 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you know that 2x/y^2z^3 = 1/xz^3 ie. 2x^2=y^2, and you can subs that in and see what happens.

8. May 8, 2009 #7
    ok so i can sove for each of the variables

y = [tex]\sqrt{2x^2}[/tex]

x = [tex]\sqrt{(y^2)/2}[/tex]

z = [tex]\sqrt{(3y^2)/2}[/tex]

how does that help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook