Calculating Thermal Conductance with Excel

In summary: In air, it may be a combination of conduction and convection. Most heat transfer coefficients are determined from experiment from which a correlation may be developed or the data tabulated.I don't believe there is a simple formula.I've encountered values for the thermal resistance in litterature, which are 0,13 m2*K/W for inside, and 0,04 outside. The problem is that I don't know for which circumstances these are calculated. How strong winds, temp, etc. I'm hoping some kind of table excists that gives this value for varying circumstances.These days, one would use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to do calculations. I imagine inside, there is very
TSN79
I'm using Excel to work out the overall u-value for a wall consisting of several layers. To do this the following formula is used:

[tex]
U = {1 \over {{1 \over {\alpha _{outside} }} + {{t_1 } \over {\lambda _1 }} + ... + {{t_n } \over {\lambda _n }} + {1 \over {\alpha _{inside} }}}}
[/tex]

It is the alpha (thermal conductance, W/m2*K) which turns out to be very difficult to determine. Apparently it is a function of many factors like air speed, density, kinematic viscosity etc. If anyone can assist me in finding a way to determine this value for a variety of circumstances, I'd really appreciate it!

Engineering news on Phys.org
In air, it may be a combination of conduction and convection. Most heat transfer coefficients are determined from experiment from which a correlation may be developed or the data tabulated.

I don't believe there is a simple formula.

I've encountered values for the thermal resistance in litterature, which are 0,13 m2*K/W for inside, and 0,04 outside. The problem is that I don't know for which circumstances these are calculated. How strong winds, temp, etc. I'm hoping some kind of table excists that gives this value for varying circumstances.

These days, one would use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to do calculations. I imagine inside, there is very little convection and the heat transfer is mostly conduction, whereas outside, especially with wind, convection is dominant, and the [itex]\Delta T[/itex] is greater than inside.

I'll look at my texts to see if there examples or simple formulas.

Russ Watters may some good information since (IIRC) he does heating (cooling?) systems.

Heat transfer coefficients

You can use published correlations for determining these. It is not very difficult to use the the formulas, but you have to be careful as the correlations are dependent on Reynolds' number or the Rayleigh number and are valid for a limited ranges.

One of the reference books I like is:

Holman, J. P., “Heat Transfer”, 9th Edition, McGraw Hill, New York, 2002. ISBN 0-07-240655-0.

Best wishes.

TSN79 said:
I'm using Excel to work out the overall u-value for a wall consisting of several layers. To do this the following formula is used:

[tex]
U = {1 \over {{1 \over {\alpha _{outside} }} + {{t_1 } \over {\lambda _1 }} + ... + {{t_n } \over {\lambda _n }} + {1 \over {\alpha _{inside} }}}}
[/tex]

It is the alpha (thermal conductance, W/m2*K) which turns out to be very difficult to determine. Apparently it is a function of many factors like air speed, density, kinematic viscosity etc. If anyone can assist me in finding a way to determine this value for a variety of circumstances, I'd really appreciate it!

1. How do I calculate thermal conductance using Excel?

To calculate thermal conductance using Excel, you will need to first determine the thermal conductivity of the material, the surface area of the material, and the thickness of the material. Then, use the formula G = kA/t, where G is the thermal conductance, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, and t is the thickness. Enter these values into Excel and use the formula to calculate the thermal conductance.

2. Can I use Excel to calculate thermal conductance for different materials?

Yes, you can use Excel to calculate thermal conductance for different materials as long as you have the necessary data, such as thermal conductivity, surface area, and thickness, for each material. You can also create a spreadsheet with formulas that can be easily changed to calculate thermal conductance for different materials.

3. What units should I use when calculating thermal conductance with Excel?

When calculating thermal conductance with Excel, it is important to use consistent units. The thermal conductivity should be in units of W/mK (watts per meter kelvin), the surface area should be in units of m2 (square meters), and the thickness should be in units of m (meters). This will ensure that your final calculation is in units of W/K (watts per kelvin), which is the standard unit for thermal conductance.

4. How accurate are thermal conductance calculations using Excel?

The accuracy of thermal conductance calculations using Excel will depend on the accuracy of the input data and the formula used. If the input data is accurate and the formula is correctly applied, the calculated thermal conductance should be fairly accurate. However, it is always important to double-check your calculations and ensure that all units are consistent.

5. Can I use Excel to compare different materials based on their thermal conductance?

Yes, Excel can be used to compare different materials based on their thermal conductance. By entering the necessary data for each material into a spreadsheet and using the same formula for each calculation, you can easily compare the thermal conductance values and determine which material has the highest or lowest thermal conductance.