Thermal conductivity of neoprene

In summary, a person's heat loss while immersed in water at 10ºC can be estimated by using the thermal conductivity of the wetsuit, the surface area covered by the wetsuit, and the temperature gradient between the body and the water. The thermal conductivity can be used in the formula for heat loss, and the area and temperature gradient can be estimated in order to determine the rate of heat loss.
Sophie_King
Hi,
i would appreciate any help i could get on this, thanks.
I'm stuck on part of a biomechanics assignment which is to work out the thermal conductivity of neoprene. I've done this part but am having difficulty on the following question;

"Using the value that you have obtained for thermal conductivity, estimate the heat loss from a person, immersed in water at 10ºC if A) they are wearing a 3mm wetsuit and B) if they are wearing a 5mm wetsuit"

I have the thermal conductivity of the wetsuit but I'm not sure how to work out the heat loss from that and what unit measurement to give the answer.

I'm not saying that i want the question done for me but if you think you know how to do it I'd like a few pointers!

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sophie_King said:
Hi,
i would appreciate any help i could get on this, thanks.
I'm stuck on part of a biomechanics assignment which is to work out the thermal conductivity of neoprene. I've done this part but am having difficulty on the following question;

"Using the value that you have obtained for thermal conductivity, estimate the heat loss from a person, immersed in water at 10ºC if A) they are wearing a 3mm wetsuit and B) if they are wearing a 5mm wetsuit"

I have the thermal conductivity of the wetsuit but I'm not sure how to work out the heat loss from that and what unit measurement to give the answer.

I'm not saying that i want the question done for me but if you think you know how to do it I'd like a few pointers!

Thanks again.

This should have been in the Homework Zone.

You know that the rate of heat (Q) loss (or heat flow) is given by

[tex]\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t} = -kA \frac{\Delta T}{\Delta x}[/tex]

where k is the thermal conductivity, A is the cross-sectional area of the heat flow, and [tex]\Delta T/\Delta x[/tex] is the temperature gradient.

Depending on what you can estimate, you may have an estimation of a person's surface area that's covered by the wet suit to plug into A. However, if not, you can always divide out the area so that your answer will be the rate of heat loss per unit area. The temperature gradient should be obvious, because you know the body temperature, you to know the temperature of the water, and you know the thickness of the wet suit that separates these two temperatures.

So I think the problem is solved.

Zz.

Thank you very much for your help.
The answers is always really obvious when you know it!
Sorry i posted in the wrong area, I've only just joined the forum,
Thank you again

1. What is neoprene and why is its thermal conductivity important?

Neoprene is a synthetic rubber commonly used in a variety of industries for its flexibility and resistance to heat, chemicals, and weather. Its thermal conductivity is important because it determines how well it can transfer heat, making it useful for applications such as insulation and protective clothing.

2. How is the thermal conductivity of neoprene measured?

The thermal conductivity of neoprene is typically measured using a thermal conductivity meter, which applies heat to one side of a neoprene sample and measures the temperature change on the other side. The thermal conductivity is then calculated based on the rate of heat transfer and the sample's dimensions.

3. What factors affect the thermal conductivity of neoprene?

The thermal conductivity of neoprene is affected by several factors, including the material's density, thickness, and temperature. Generally, higher densities and thicknesses result in lower thermal conductivity, while higher temperatures can increase thermal conductivity due to increased molecular motion.

4. How does the thermal conductivity of neoprene compare to other materials?

Neoprene has a relatively low thermal conductivity compared to other materials, such as metals and some plastics. However, it is still a good insulator and can provide effective thermal protection in certain applications.

5. Can the thermal conductivity of neoprene be improved?

Yes, the thermal conductivity of neoprene can be improved through the addition of fillers or coatings that enhance its insulating properties. Additionally, using thicker neoprene layers or combining it with other insulating materials can also increase its overall thermal resistance.