1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Conductivity Practical

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    Hi there,...this isn't homework..its more to my practical...anyways...from the attachment given..that is the first page of my practical guide....the problem is.....on the procedure part...it asked me to plot a graph of lg temp againts t ....if i do so...how do i get the thermal conductivity of glass as the initial temp is 20 C ?!?...so weird...because i don't get lg 20 as interception from the graph......btw..if i simply assume the gradient of graph plotted is kt/Brx ...then my thermal conductivity of glass is 0.2++....i don't think thats right :(...help me anyone..please

Practical Pic
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2
    First of all
    What is the unit. IT all depends on the units.
  4. Feb 23, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

I think you need to look at the slope value again. It should be k/Brx since t is your independent variable and k,b,r and x are all constants. Also, pay heed to Gamma. Units will be your downfall if you are not careful.
  5. Feb 24, 2005 #4
    oh..the units are all in W m^(-1) K^(-1)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?