Thermal conductivity problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around building a portable air conditioning unit using a tub of water, dry ice, a heater core, and a fan. The main concern is determining the best material for the container holding the dry ice, which needs to have high thermal conductivity but also avoid freezing the water. The suggestion is to use a metal container and adjust the water flow rate accordingly.
shadowblade
Hello. As you can see, I'm new here.
I have a little experience in physics and I've taken through Calc 2 in college.

I'm trying to build a portable air conditioning unit. My current design consists of a tub of water with a 6" cube-shaped container of some kind submerged in it containing dry ice, then pumping the water through a used heater core and using a fan to move air from around the core.

My problem is what material to use for the container for the dry ice - I need to pick one with the highest possible thermal conductivity without allowing the water to freeze. (Also it has to be one I can buy online or in a store for relatively cheap and manipulate easily)

I don't know how to manipulate thermal conductivity data to determine which material will work best here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
I would use some type of metal container. Then adjust the flow rate of the water: fast enough so that it does not freeze, slow enough so that it is cooled sufficiently.

Hello and welcome to the community! Thermal conductivity is definitely an important factor to consider in your design for a portable air conditioning unit. The material you choose for the container of the dry ice will play a crucial role in the efficiency and effectiveness of your unit.

First, let's define thermal conductivity. It is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. The higher the thermal conductivity, the better the material is at transferring heat. This means that a material with high thermal conductivity will be able to absorb and release heat quickly, making it a good choice for your design.

In order to determine the best material for your container, you will need to look at the thermal conductivity values for different materials. These values can be found online or in engineering handbooks. Some common materials with high thermal conductivity include copper, aluminum, and steel. However, these materials may not be easily manipulated or affordable for your project.

One option could be to use a material such as graphite or carbon fiber, which have high thermal conductivity and can be easily manipulated and purchased online. Another option could be to use a material with a lower thermal conductivity, such as plastic, but increase the surface area of the container to compensate for the lower conductivity.

It is also important to consider the temperature at which the material will be operating. Dry ice has a temperature of -109.3°F, so you will need to make sure that the material you choose can withstand such low temperatures without becoming brittle or cracking.

In conclusion, to determine the best material for your container, you will need to consider the thermal conductivity values, affordability, manipulability, and temperature resistance of different materials. I suggest doing some research and possibly conducting some experiments to find the best option for your specific design. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how easily heat can pass through a material. It is a physical property that describes the ability of a material to conduct heat.

2. What are some factors that affect thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be affected by various factors such as temperature, density, composition, and structure. For example, materials with higher density and lower porosity generally have higher thermal conductivity.

3. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter or a heat flow meter. These devices use a temperature gradient to determine the rate at which heat is conducted through a material.

4. What is the importance of understanding thermal conductivity?

Understanding thermal conductivity is important in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and geology. It allows us to determine the efficiency of heat transfer in different materials and helps in the design of thermal insulation and heat exchange systems.

5. How is thermal conductivity used in practical applications?

Thermal conductivity is used in various practical applications such as building insulation, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, and electronic devices. It is also important in the study of Earth's subsurface and the flow of heat through rocks and soils.