1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal conductivity problem

1. Jul 20, 2008 #1
    Hello. As you can see, I'm new here.
    I have a little experience in physics and I've taken through Calc 2 in college.

I'm trying to build a portable air conditioning unit. My current design consists of a tub of water with a 6" cube-shaped container of some kind submerged in it containing dry ice, then pumping the water through a used heater core and using a fan to move air from around the core.

My problem is what material to use for the container for the dry ice - I need to pick one with the highest possible thermal conductivity without allowing the water to freeze. (Also it has to be one I can buy online or in a store for relatively cheap and manipulate easily)

I don't know how to manipulate thermal conductivity data to determine which material will work best here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would use some type of metal container. Then adjust the flow rate of the water: fast enough so that it does not freeze, slow enough so that it is cooled sufficiently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?