What is the Thermal Conductivity of Cast Iron Across Different Temperatures?

In summary, the conversation is about the thermal conductivity of cast iron, with one person questioning the accuracy of the reported range of 47-55 k, and requesting links for further information. Another person mentions using 80 W/mK as their units for cast iron. The conversation then shifts to discussing conductivity in terms of percentage, with one person asking for specific heat and the other unable to provide help due to missing formulas. The conversation concludes with someone sharing an elaboration on the topic.
heiroglif
Hi all,

I remember reading somewhere that Cast iron in general has a uniform thermal conductivity k of approx. 47-55, and this remains the same for a wide range of temperatures,

im not sure if this is correct, if anyone has any information on this subject, that would be great, if i could ask for links to prove your points too. Thanks.

H

Engineering news on Phys.org
K has Units, in fact it can appear in a dazzeling array of different units. What are yours?

a quick web search showed up 80 [itex] \frac {W} {m K^o} [/itex]

Last edited:

hi, yes I am using the same units,

i think ur getting mixed up with the material tho, remember its "cast iron" not regular iron which is roughly 80 W/mK.

Cast iron from some web searches is around 55 W/mK..

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

has anyone seen conductivity in a percent? that is what the quality department uses and i need specific heat. any ideas? i tried to figure out the units but cant

ECU0406 said:
has anyone seen conductivity in a percent? that is what the quality department uses and i need specific heat. any ideas? i tried to figure out the units but cant
Do you have a reference or link for this? That will make it easier to help.

i guess we can't attach excel spreadsheets which sucks but here it is in word. the conductivity formula is at the bottom. the quality guy here isn't any help. he's been here for 40 yrs and can't tell me how things work

Attachments

• conductivity percent.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 428
Unfortunately, without the formulas associated with the percentage cell we cannot say much. Definitions of the other columns would be informative.

i elaborated, everything should be there now

Attachments

• conductivity percent.doc
    47.5 KB · Views: 448

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is a physical property that describes how quickly heat can flow through a material.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This instrument applies heat to one side of a material and measures the temperature difference between the two sides to determine the material's thermal conductivity.

3. What factors affect thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material is affected by several factors, including its chemical composition, density, temperature, and the presence of any impurities or defects.

4. Why is thermal conductivity important?

Thermal conductivity is an important property in many industries, such as construction, engineering, and materials science. It is used to determine the efficiency of insulation materials, heat transfer in building materials, and the performance of electronic devices, among other applications.

5. How can thermal conductivity be improved?

There are several ways to improve the thermal conductivity of a material, including using materials with higher thermal conductivity, increasing the density of the material, and reducing the presence of impurities. Additionally, designing materials with specific structures or adding additives can also improve thermal conductivity.