1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Conductivity Question

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1
    Hello friends,

I am having a hard time understanding thermal conduction and was hoping someone could shed some light for me.

I am looking to protect a component from heat by placing a thermal barrier between it and the heat source, the heat applied to the surface of this barrier would be 150°C. I have identified a material with a thermal conductivity of 0.03W/mK, however I am unsure what thickness I would require to prevent any heat of greater than 50°C reaching my component surface.

I have been trying to use the equation Q=kA deltaT/d, however I feel this does not suit what I am trying to accomplish due to not knowing Q?

So my question is, is there another way I should be approaching this problem? Is there a way of calculating Q and then rearranging the above equation to solve for thickness?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tina

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe you need to know Q and the properties of whatever is on the other side of the object to be protected. For example..

Heat source (150C) -> Insulation -> object -> something -> Ambient Air (20C?)

If the "something" is a good thermal conductor then the temperature of the object will be nearer "ambient" than the heat source temperature.

What is the heat source? If it has a known power you might be able to estimate what percentage goes in the critical direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook