Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal conductivity with plating

1. Oct 13, 2010 #1
    This relates to design of a heat spreader. My intuition is failing me and I'm not familiar with this area of thermodynamics/heat flow.

Assume I have a heat source, attached to a large flat surface used as a heat spreader/sink. The size of the source is negligible w.r.t. the surface area (A) of the heat spreader. Consider that the heat spreader is made from a material with thermal conductivity X. Now consider an alternative where the heat spreader has a thin coating (metal plating) with heat conductivity Y on top of the material with conductivity X. How does the effective thermal conductivity from the heat source to the ambient air change in the X and Y vs. the X only case?

I'm probably missing information, but I'm not sure what's relevant here. Let me know if anything else is relevant in coming up with at least a first order approximation of how the heat flow changes.

Thanks,

Chris

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?