Insulation Most Relevant for a Fridge

In summary, the most relevant material for the walls of a fridge is insulation due to its low thermal conductivity, ability to keep heat in or out, and cost-effectiveness compared to other materials like plastic. Additionally, its low density makes it a more practical choice for large products like refrigerators.
sasuke07

Homework Statement

So you have a fridge, the walls of the fridge are made of aluminum, plastic and insulation. Which is the most relevant and why for the fridge.

Homework Equations

Thermal conductivity of aluminum=250
Plastic=.03
insulation=0.035 - 0.16

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought by just common sense to be insluation because insulation is mainly used to keep heat either in or out. But i don't know how to describe it in a scientific way? help.

Physics news on Phys.org
sasuke07 said:
I thought by just common sense to be insluation because insulation is mainly used to keep heat either in or out. But i don't know how to describe it in a scientific way? help.
Hi sasuke07! Google is a great resource for finding science information.
Search on: "thermal conductivity" equation

Here's a good start:
http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Materials/Physical_Chemical/ThermalConductivity.htm

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks, but i had already found the thermal conductivity of all 3 of the materials. I am just having trouble articluating why insulation is more important than say plastic, if they have a similar thermal conductivity.

Insulation foam is generally not a very robust surface, and a fridge made of nothing but insulation foam will not please fastidious housewives!

lol, that's funny, But in terms of thermal conductiviy alone, would insulation be the most important, would plastic be just as good if its thermal conductiviy were similar?

When you build any large product, weight is a concern. The density of plastic is roughly the same as water. The density of a foam insulating material is significantly less. Refrigerators are quite heavy objects. If plastic were used instead of a low density foam, the weight would be significantly more.

Foam is cheaper to manufacture than plastic.

1. What is the purpose of insulation in a fridge?

The main purpose of insulation in a fridge is to minimize heat transfer between the inside and outside of the fridge. This helps to maintain a cold temperature inside the fridge, keeping food and drinks fresh for a longer period of time.

2. What type of material is commonly used for insulation in fridges?

The most commonly used material for insulation in fridges is polyurethane foam. This material has a high thermal resistance, meaning it can effectively prevent heat transfer. It is also lightweight and easy to mold, making it a practical choice for fridge insulation.

3. How does insulation affect the energy efficiency of a fridge?

Insulation plays a crucial role in the energy efficiency of a fridge. A well-insulated fridge requires less energy to maintain a cold temperature, resulting in lower energy consumption and cost savings. On the other hand, poor insulation can lead to energy wastage and higher electricity bills.

4. Is there a recommended thickness for fridge insulation?

Yes, the recommended thickness for fridge insulation is typically between 1-2 inches. This thickness provides enough insulation to prevent heat transfer while still allowing for proper air circulation within the fridge. However, the exact thickness may vary depending on the type and size of the fridge.

5. Can insulation be added to an existing fridge?

Yes, it is possible to add insulation to an existing fridge. This can be done by purchasing and installing additional insulation materials, such as foam boards or reflective insulation. However, it is important to make sure that the added insulation does not block any important components or vents inside the fridge.