Thermal conductivity in a heating system

In summary, the room is warmed by a radiator through which water passes at a rate of 0.12kg s-1. The steady-state difference between the inlet and outlet temperatures of the water is 6.0 K. The radiator is made of iron of thermal conductivity 80 W m-1 K-1 and has an effective surface area of 1.5 m2 with walls 2.0 mm thick.
astri_lfc

Homework Statement

In a domestic heating system, a room is warmed by a 'radiator' through which water passes at a rate of 0.12kg s-1. The steady-state difference between the inlet and outlet temperatures of the water is 6.0 K.

The radiator is made of iron of thermal conductivity 80 W m-1 K-1 and has an effective surface area of 1.5 m2 with walls 2.0 mm thick.
(a) At what rate is heat supplied to the room?
(b) What is the mean temperature difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the radiator walls?
[Specific heat capacity of water = 4.2 x 103 J kg-1 K-1]

Homework Equations

a)q/t = k a ΔT / L
is it true use this equations?

b) q = m c ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
i put all the data to the formula, but the answer is 360000 w
my teacher give me the answer is 3024 w
which one is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your teacher is right. Show us your work.

Chet

k = 80
A = 1.5 m2
L = 2 x 10^-3
delta T = 6 K

q/t = 80 x 1.5 x 6 / (2x10^-3)

so q/t = 360000

what's wrong with thiss? :'(

What's wrong is that the 6 C is the temperature rise of the water in passing through the radiator, not the temperature difference across the thickness of the radiator iron. How much heat does the water lose per second in passing through the radiator?

Chet

oh i see
so shall i use q/t= m c deltaT ?

astri_lfc said:
oh i see
so shall i use q/t= m c deltaT ?
Yes, if m is the mass flow rate and q/t is the rate of heat transfer.

Chet

There are two parts to the question.

For part..

a) Apply conservation of energy. In steady state Power going into the rad = Power coming out. Power going in is (m/t)cΔT where (m/t) is the flow rate in kg/s^-1, c = specific heat capacity, and ΔT the temperature difference between input and output pipes (the output pipe isn't at absolute zero so some power is returned to the furnace/boiler)

b) A different equation will apply. Have a go first.

Actually there is a better way to explain equation in part a...

Power emitted to the room = Power into the rad - Power returned to the furnace

= mcTflow - mcTreturn
= mcΔT

okay thanks a lot! i have found the answer

1. What is thermal conductivity and why is it important in a heating system?

Thermal conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to transfer heat. In a heating system, it is important because it determines how quickly and effectively heat is distributed throughout the system, ultimately affecting the overall efficiency and performance of the system.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured in a heating system?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured in watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK). This is done by conducting a controlled heat transfer experiment, where the temperature difference between two points is measured and used to calculate the thermal conductivity value.

3. What are some factors that can affect thermal conductivity in a heating system?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be influenced by various factors such as temperature, moisture, and the presence of air pockets. In addition, the type and thickness of insulation used, as well as the design and size of the heating system, can also impact thermal conductivity.

4. How does thermal conductivity impact energy efficiency in a heating system?

The higher the thermal conductivity of a material, the more heat it is able to transfer. This means that materials with high thermal conductivity can help to reduce energy consumption in a heating system by distributing heat more efficiently and effectively.

5. Can thermal conductivity be improved in a heating system?

Yes, thermal conductivity can be improved in a heating system by using materials with higher thermal conductivity, ensuring proper insulation and sealing to reduce air pockets, and regularly maintaining and cleaning the system to prevent any buildup of debris that could hinder heat transfer.