How can I model thermal contraction in Comsol for an elastic solid?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with modeling thermal contraction in an elastic solid using Comsol. They are unsure how to prescribe a coefficient of thermal contraction and are open to alternative suggestions for achieving uniform contraction in order to model resulting stresses. They also mention that if the body cools uniformly and is unconstrained, no stress will develop.
Markes
Hello everybody,

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am trying to model thermal contraction of an elastic solid in Comsol. I am sure this is a simple model, but I am a new Comsol user and it is not obvious to me.

My goal is to model the stresses within an elastic solid, that arise as a function of thermal contraction. The temperature is dropped by 5 K, and as a result, the solid should contract. I believe that I should be able to prescribe a coefficient of thermal contraction somewhere, but I couldn't do this in the Material Properties sub-menu of the Physics menu.

Actually, if you have any other suggestions as to how to achieve UNIFORM contraction in Comsol, that would suffice, because my main goal is to model stresses as a result of contractility.

Thank you very much for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the body cools uniformly and it is unconstrained, no stress will develop.

1. What is thermal contraction and why is it important?

Thermal contraction is the decrease in size or volume of a material as it is cooled down. It is an important phenomenon to consider in various engineering and scientific applications, as it can cause changes in dimensions and stresses within a system.

2. How does Comsol simulate thermal contraction?

Comsol uses the finite element method to simulate thermal contraction. This involves dividing the system into smaller elements and solving the governing equations of heat transfer and material properties for each element. The results are then combined to predict the overall thermal contraction of the system.

3. Can Comsol simulate thermal contraction in different materials?

Yes, Comsol has a wide range of material properties and models that can be used to simulate thermal contraction in different materials such as metals, polymers, and composites.

4. How accurate is Comsol's simulation of thermal contraction?

The accuracy of Comsol's simulation depends on various factors such as the quality of the input data, mesh size, and convergence criteria. With proper setup and calibration, Comsol can provide accurate predictions of thermal contraction within a reasonable margin of error.

5. What are some potential challenges when simulating thermal contraction in Comsol?

Some potential challenges when simulating thermal contraction in Comsol include the accurate representation of material properties, handling of large temperature differences, and accounting for nonlinear effects such as plasticity or phase changes. It is important to carefully consider all these factors to ensure accurate and reliable results.