1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Efficiency Equation

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    Can you please help me? I am trying to calculate this equation but can't get correct answer:

Thermal Efficiency, Brake = 1/(bSPC x QHV)

bSPC (brake Specific fuel consumption) = 0.396 kg/KWh

QHV (Heating Value for fuel) = 44 MJ/Kg

The correct answer is meant to be: Thermal Efficiency, Brake = 0.207 = 20.7%.

I do not know the correct SI units for bSPC or QHV, hopefully I am not using the right ones because I can't get that answer.

Look forward to any help or advise, Thanks

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your equation is correct, but I think what is confusing you are the prefixed units. What you can do is reduce everything to the same set of units.

kWh is a unit of energy so 1kWh = 1 kW * 1 hr = 1kJ/s * 3600 s = 3600 kJ = 3.6 MJ

So your bSPC = .396 kg/kWh = 0.396/3.6 kg/MJ

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    Wow solved perfectly, and can get correct answer,, must have been <30mins. You don't know how stupid I felt not being able to do that equation. Thank you very much

5. May 12, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your units are at fault. The bSPC is given in units of kg/kWh while the HV is given in MJ/kg.

You need to find the heat equivalent of kWh and convert the value of bSPC before plugging it nto the efficiency formula.

6. May 12, 2013 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Another thing that I found helpful to do is to write out your units so that you know if you are missing out a factor.

So for efficiency, it would be output power/input power which means that you units would cancel.

Just multiplying the numbers would have left you with something like MJ/kWh and you would have neglected a factor.

7. May 14, 2013 #6
    Thank you both soo much. I am going to learn today about manipulating units, it will help me soo much with Mechanical Engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted