How Do I Calculate Thermal Efficiency with the Brake Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person seeking help with calculating an equation for thermal efficiency. They are struggling to get the correct answer due to confusion with different units. The conversation ends with the person feeling grateful for the help and planning to learn more about manipulating units for their studies in Mechanical Engineering.
recreated
Can you please help me? I am trying to calculate this equation but can't get correct answer:

Thermal Efficiency, Brake = 1/(bSPC x QHV)

bSPC (brake Specific fuel consumption) = 0.396 kg/KWh

QHV (Heating Value for fuel) = 44 MJ/Kg

The correct answer is meant to be: Thermal Efficiency, Brake = 0.207 = 20.7%.

I do not know the correct SI units for bSPC or QHV, hopefully I am not using the right ones because I can't get that answer.

Look forward to any help or advise, Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is correct, but I think what is confusing you are the prefixed units. What you can do is reduce everything to the same set of units.

kWh is a unit of energy so 1kWh = 1 kW * 1 hr = 1kJ/s * 3600 s = 3600 kJ = 3.6 MJ

So your bSPC = .396 kg/kWh = 0.396/3.6 kg/MJ

Likes 1 person
Wow solved perfectly, and can get correct answer,, must have been <30mins. You don't know how stupid I felt not being able to do that equation. Thank you very much

Your units are at fault. The bSPC is given in units of kg/kWh while the HV is given in MJ/kg.

You need to find the heat equivalent of kWh and convert the value of bSPC before plugging it nto the efficiency formula.

recreated said:
Wow solved perfectly, and can get correct answer,, must have been <30mins. You don't know how stupid I felt not being able to do that equation. Thank you very much

Another thing that I found helpful to do is to write out your units so that you know if you are missing out a factor.

So for efficiency, it would be output power/input power which means that you units would cancel.

Just multiplying the numbers would have left you with something like MJ/kWh and you would have neglected a factor.

Thank you both soo much. I am going to learn today about manipulating units, it will help me soo much with Mechanical Engineering.

1. What is the thermal efficiency equation?

The thermal efficiency equation is a mathematical expression that represents the ratio of the useful work or energy output to the total amount of energy input in a thermodynamic process. It is typically used to measure the efficiency of heat engines, such as power plants or car engines.

2. How is the thermal efficiency equation calculated?

The thermal efficiency equation is calculated by dividing the useful work or energy output by the total energy input, and then multiplying the result by 100 to express it as a percentage. The equation is as follows: η = (W/Qh) x 100%, where η is the thermal efficiency, W is the work output, and Qh is the heat input.

3. What is considered a high thermal efficiency?

A high thermal efficiency is typically considered to be above 50%. However, the actual value can vary depending on the specific system or process being measured. Generally, the higher the thermal efficiency, the more efficient the system is at converting energy into useful work.

4. What factors can affect the thermal efficiency of a system?

There are several factors that can affect the thermal efficiency of a system, including the design and condition of the system, the type and quality of fuel being used, and the operating temperature and pressure. Other factors, such as heat loss and friction, can also impact the efficiency of a system.

5. Why is the thermal efficiency equation important?

The thermal efficiency equation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to measure and analyze the efficiency of various thermodynamic processes. By understanding the factors that affect thermal efficiency, it is possible to improve the design and performance of systems, leading to more efficient energy use and reduced environmental impact.