Correct Distance of 28.856m between 2 Points at 350°C

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the correct distance between two points on a steel ruler at 180C is 28.85m. When the temperature rises to 350C, the distance between the same two points measures 28.856m due to the steel ruler expanding. The formula used to calculate this change in length is L = L0(1 - alpha * Delta t), with L0 being the original length and alpha being the coefficient of thermal expansion. This means that as the temperature increases, the length of the ruler also increases, resulting in a longer distance between the two points.
Karol

Homework Statement

A steel ruler is correct at 180c. when the temperature was 350c a distance of 28.85 m was measured between 2 points. what is the correct distance

Homework Equations

$$L=L_0(1-\alpha \Delta t)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$1+12E-6 \cdot 17^0=1.000204$$
How many big units enter in the original, correct, x, length:
$$\frac{x}{1.000204}=28.856$$
Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
"A steel ruler is correct at 180c. when the temperature was 350c a distance of 28.85 m was measured between 2 points. what is the correct distance"

LOGIC TEST :biggrin:! Does steel expand or contract when it gets hotter? Should your answer be larger or smaller than the distance given?

I suggest making 28.85 your original length.

Edit: clarity

Last edited:
Of course at a lower temperature the distances on the ruler shrink, so the count is higher, that's my logic.
The measure is taken at 35c, so at 18c the length will be longer, on the ruler, my formula is correct, i am pretty sure

Oh, forget what I said about the formula thing, I did it two different ways and ended up countering what I said with "making 28.85 the original length".

Anyways at a lower temperature the distance shrinks. So the count is higher? I think you are confusing the question a bit. You're not actually using to ruler to measure itself. Let's say the ruler is at 35C, and you grab another ruler to measure the distance between two points on the ruler, let's say from the 5cm to 20cm mark. When the temperature is 18C, you are still measuring from the 5cm to 20cm mark, but as you just said, the ruler shrunk, therefore your value should be smaller, at least this is how I interpreted the question, I see how you see the question.

Edit: The main difference I can tell between our approach is when it says the distance between 2 points, I assume the 2 points are on the ruler. In your case you say the points are not on the ruler, in which you would be correct. but I don't know which scenario the question wants, my reading comprehension sucks.

Last edited:
The points are outside the ruler

then its right srry for confusion

1. What is the significance of the distance of 28.856m between 2 points at 350°C?

The distance of 28.856m is the physical distance between two points at a temperature of 350°C. This measurement is important for accurately understanding the physical properties and behavior of materials at high temperatures.

2. How was the distance of 28.856m calculated at 350°C?

The distance was most likely calculated using mathematical equations and scientific tools such as a thermometer and ruler. These calculations take into account factors such as thermal expansion and contraction of materials at different temperatures.

3. Can the distance of 28.856m change at different temperatures?

Yes, the distance between two points can change at different temperatures due to the thermal expansion and contraction of materials. At higher temperatures, materials tend to expand and the distance between two points may increase.

4. Is the distance of 28.856m a constant value at 350°C?

No, the distance may vary slightly due to factors such as changes in pressure or the composition of the materials. However, it is likely that the distance will remain relatively consistent at 350°C.

5. How does the distance of 28.856m at 350°C affect practical applications?

The precise measurement of distance at high temperatures is crucial for various industrial and scientific processes, such as in the production of materials for aerospace or automotive industries. It also helps in accurately designing and constructing high-temperature equipment and structures.