1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Energy ( Question )

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A copper cube mass of 110g is heated to a temperature of 100 Celcius degrees and then rapidly transferred to a well insulated aluminium can of mass 80g containing 200g of water at 10 C degrees . If the final temperature of the cube and water ( after stirring ) is 14 C .

( c of water and al are 4.2 x 10^3 J/Kg/K and 9.1 x 10^2 J/Kg/K

2. Relevant equations

Calculate the specific heat capacity of the copper . Assuming heat loss to the surrounding is negligible .

3. The attempt at a solution

Heat supplied = heat loss . However i`m struggling with the change in temperature .
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The change in temperature of the copper is -86C and the change in the water is +4C?? Is that what you are asking??
  4. Jan 3, 2008 #3
    No i mean about the change of a can .
    It should be heat supplied = heat gained isn't it ?
    Q of Copper cube = Q of can + Q of Water ?

If can and water are only one object then why would they give us C of aluminum ?
  5. Jan 3, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you can take the temperature change of the can to be the same as the water it contains.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?