Is there a thermal equilibrium in General Relativity?

In summary, the book discusses how the universe does not have a time-like solution in the Robertson-Walker metric, which implies that it is not in equilibrium. It is unclear to me what thermal equilibrium means in general relativity, but it seems that nobody else understands it either.
evilcman
I am reading the book The Early Universe by Kolb and Turner and found the following:
"In the strictest mathematical sense the universe cannot be in thermal equilibrium, as the FRW cosmological model does not possesses a time-like Killing vector".

It is just a matter of calculations to show that the Killing-equation does not have a
time-like solution in the Robertson-Walker metric, but I don't know how this implies anything
about thermal equilibrium. The books I have do not treat relativistic thermodynamics,
can someone explain this or point me to a good reference?

Physics news on Phys.org
They probably mean equilibrium not in the sense of maximizing the entropy of the matter fields but of maximizing the entropy of the gravitational field.

I think the equilibrium state of GR consists of one big black hole. It's the opposite of an ordinary ideal gas, where the equilibrium has the particles spread out uniformly.

The lack of a timelike Killing vector means that the system is not stationary in any reasonable sense. It is hard to imagine how something could be in equilibrium if it is constantly changing.

Stingray said:
The lack of a timelike Killing vector means that the system is not stationary in any reasonable sense. It is hard to imagine how something could be in equilibrium if it is constantly changing.

Well, suppose you have a system consisting of a moon orbiting around a planet. It doesn't have a timelike Killing vector, but I think it's reasonable to say that it's in equilibrium.

I agree, but it's much more difficult in the cosmological cases when you do have a full complement of (spatial) translational and rotational Killing vectors. In any case, I have no idea what thermal equilibrium means in general relativity, and my impression is that nobody else does either. It's rather subtle even in special relativity.

bcrowell said:
They probably mean equilibrium not in the sense of maximizing the entropy of the matter fields but of maximizing the entropy of the gravitational field.

I think the equilibrium state of GR consists of one big black hole. It's the opposite of an ordinary ideal gas, where the equilibrium has the particles spread out uniformly.

I don't think black holes represent an equilibrium as in being the final state of an evolving system, because as the universe expands and the cosmic microwave background temperature falls, the black holes evaporate as per Hawking's radiation leaving a universe with dispersed particles/ radiation.

1. What is thermal equilibrium in general relativity (GR)?

Thermal equilibrium in GR refers to a state in which the temperature of a system remains constant over time, with no net exchange of heat between different parts of the system. It is an important concept in studying the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of strong gravitational fields, as described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How is thermal equilibrium affected by gravity in GR?

In GR, gravity is not just a force between masses, but rather a manifestation of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This means that the distribution of matter and energy in a system can affect the curvature of spacetime, which in turn affects the temperature distribution and can lead to deviations from thermal equilibrium.

3. Can thermal equilibrium be achieved in a system with strong gravitational fields?

Yes, thermal equilibrium can still be achieved in a system with strong gravitational fields, as long as there is no net exchange of heat between different parts of the system. However, the temperature distribution may not be uniform due to the effects of gravity on the curvature of spacetime.

4. How does the concept of thermal equilibrium change in the presence of black holes?

In the presence of a black hole, the extreme gravitational field can cause significant deviations from thermal equilibrium. Matter and energy falling into the black hole can heat up and emit radiation, leading to a non-equilibrium state. However, the black hole itself can also reach a state of thermal equilibrium, known as the Hawking radiation, where it emits radiation at a consistent temperature.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying thermal equilibrium in GR?

Understanding thermal equilibrium in GR has important implications in astrophysics, where strong gravitational fields are present in objects such as black holes and neutron stars. It also has applications in cosmology, helping us understand the behavior of matter and energy in the early universe. Furthermore, it can aid in the development of new technologies, such as gravitational wave detectors, which rely on precise measurements of thermal equilibrium in extreme environments.