Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Equilibrium

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    Hi

Just wondering if I could have a bit of help on this question. Thanks in advance!

3) 100 g of steam at 150_C and 1 kg of water at 20_C are placed together inside
    an insulated volume. The specic heat of steam is 2.02x10^3J kg_1K_1, that
    of water is 4.19 x10^3 J kg_1K_1 and the latent heat of evaporation of water is
    226x10^6 J kg_1.

a) Once the two fluids have come into thermal equilibrium what is left - water or
    steam?

b) Calculate the final temperature of the system.

c) Is the net change in the internal energy of the system positive, negative or
    zero?

d) Calculate the increase in entropy of the system.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Crocodile! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Yes, but only a bit :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. May 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the welcome! Well....sorry to sound slightly stupid, but this topic isn't my forte so I haven't really got a clue where to start! Any help at all would be appreciated.

5. May 18, 2009 #4
    Well, for part b I may have an idea - whether its viable or not I'm not sure... My thoughts are that we know that the total energy of the system must remain constant. Therefore would it be possible to put the specific heat capacity equation of both cases equal to eachother? I.e. the dQ would be the same for both the steam and the water.

Thanks.

6. May 18, 2009 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Essentially, yes …

write out the equation and see what you get. :smile:

7. May 18, 2009 #6
    Right, so now I have a ratio of the two dT's - between steam and water. Is that correct? I'm not sure how to use this though... Sorry if this is an elementary question and I'm just being slow!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook