1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal expansion coefficent

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the volume thermal expansion coefficent of a solid is equal to the sum of its linear expansion coefficients in the three directions: B = Ax + Ay + Az

2. Relevant equations

B = (dV/V)/dT
    A = (dL/L)/dT

3. The attempt at a solution

My thought was using dV/V = ((dLx*dLy*dLz)/(Lx*Ly*Lz)) but when you use this it is clear that dL^3/L^3 does not equal 3* dL/L

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

dV= ( Lx +dLx)( Ly +dLy)( Lz +dLz) - Lx*Ly*Lz
    Simplify this and proceed.

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    Can you explain mathematically how you got there?

Also, the problem statement says at the end (So for an isotropic solid, which expands the same in all directions, B = 3A) if that makes the problem simpler.

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Lx, Ly and Lz are the lengths of the block. When the temperature is raised through 1 degree C, the new lengths will be Lx + Ax, Ly + Ay and Lz+ Az.
    New volume will be (Lx + Ax)( Ly + Ay)( Lz+ Az). Original volume is Lx*Ly*Lz.
    Sp dV = (Lx + Ax)( Ly + Ay)( Lz+ Az) - Lx*Ly*Lz
    Find dV/V. Neglect the terms like Ax*Ay and so on because they are very small quantities.

6. Apr 1, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

dV = (volume after expansion) - (initial volume)​

After expansion, the box dimensions have increased by dLx, dLy, and dLz, from their initial lengths Lx, Ly, and Lz.

EDIT:
    rl responded faster than I. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook