Thermal Expansion and Hole Contraction

• Thread starter cowpuppy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, when a solid material with a hole is heated, the hole will also expand in proportion to the rest of the material due to the expansion coefficient. This is necessary to maintain the volume and density of the material. Although the density of the material can change, it does not change significantly due to the thermal expansion. Additionally, a forum search should be done before asking a question.
cowpuppy
Say you had a material with a hole in it. When you heat this material, it expands. Would the hole then contract, since the material is expanding in all directions? My intuition says yes, but I'm told this is not the case, and I'm not sure about the physics behind it to reason to figure out why.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Would the hole then contract

No the hole gets larger in the same proportion as the material.

Why?

Well it is a solid, so its density isn't changing (volume stays the same). The plate is expanding outward and getting slightly thicker due to thermal expansion, so the hole gets bigger, otherwise the volume would be changing.

I don't think that's the reason. Just because it is a solid doesn't mean the density doesn't change. And in the case of a block of material with no holes, if you were to heat it, it would expand in all unrestricted directions, and the volume (therefore, density, since mass is the same) would increase.

cowpuppy said:
I don't think that's the reason. Just because it is a solid doesn't mean the density doesn't change. And in the case of a block of material with no holes, if you were to heat it, it would expand in all unrestricted directions, and the volume (therefore, density, since mass is the same) would increase.

Now that I think about it, you are right, the solids can change density, but not very much.

If you look at the math, it tells you that the hole gets bigger (as do all the other dimensions). Physically, it represents the fact that not only does the expansion coefficient govern the lengths, but also the areas and volumes. In order to satisfy the volumetric (or areal) relationship with the expansion coefficient, the hole must get larger. If not, then you end up with more of a volume change than the material can physically undergo.

So like I said, the density of the solids can change, just not much, and just how much is governed by the expansion coefficient.

Hello cowpuppy.

It is good practice to do a forum search before asking a question. This question has been asked (and answered) lots of times at PF.

A simple search on 'themal expansion' would reveal the identical question, 5 days ago.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=429479&highlight=thermal+expansion

And by the way, if the volume increases, but the mass does not then the density decreases. The proportionality is inverse!

What is thermal expansion/contraction?

Thermal expansion/contraction is a physical phenomenon in which the size, shape, and volume of a material change in response to a change in temperature.

What causes thermal expansion/contraction?

Thermal expansion/contraction occurs because of the movement of atoms and molecules in a material. When the temperature increases, the atoms and molecules vibrate more vigorously, causing them to take up more space and expand. When the temperature decreases, the atoms and molecules move less, causing the material to contract.

How does thermal expansion/contraction affect different materials?

Different materials have different rates of thermal expansion/contraction. Generally, materials with a higher coefficient of thermal expansion will expand or contract more than those with a lower coefficient. This can cause issues in structures made of multiple materials, as they may expand and contract at different rates.

What are some real-life examples of thermal expansion/contraction?

Some common examples of thermal expansion/contraction include the expansion and contraction of metal bridges in hot and cold weather, the cracking of sidewalks due to temperature changes, and the use of expansion joints in buildings to allow for thermal expansion/contraction without damaging the structure.

How is thermal expansion/contraction measured and calculated?

The amount of thermal expansion/contraction in a material is measured by its coefficient of thermal expansion, which is typically expressed in units of length per degree Celsius. To calculate the change in size or volume of a material due to thermal expansion/contraction, the original size or volume is multiplied by the change in temperature and the coefficient of thermal expansion.